IFTA tax ?

TeaDance

Active Expediter
I plan on pulling trailers for a company with my F350 diesel. I will be under 26000 lbs, though the company requires my to have commercial plates. Will I be required to report IFTA ?

Thanks for your time.

mzraik

Active Expediter
I plan on pulling trailers for a company with my F350 diesel. I will be under 26000 lbs, though the company requires my to have commercial plates. Will I be required to report IFTA ?

Thanks for your time.

Hello TD,

Everything I have found on the subject points to the magic 26000 lbs. It also includes combination weight. If you are 1 pound over this even in combination, it is required that you register with IFTA. There are other things that chime into this qualification as well.

International Fuel Tax Agreement(IFTA) - Frequently Asked Questions - Board of Equalization

A vehicle used or designed to transport people or property is a qualified motor vehicle if it:

* Has three or more axles; or
* Has two axles and a gross vehicle or registered gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms; or
* Is used in a combination that has a combined or registered gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or 11,797 kilograms.

A recreational vehicle such as a motor home or a pickup with a camper is not considered a qualified motor vehicle when an individual uses it exclusively for personal pleasure. Vehicles used in connection with a business operation are not considered recreational.

Hope this helps,

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I pulled a 53' wedge with a 350 for awhile. At some point the length of the trailer puts you into needing a CDL.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well assuming the dually has two axles, and the trailers have one or more axles, it looks like you win by having three or more axles.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I pulled a 53' wedge with a 350 for awhile. At some point the length of the trailer puts you into needing a CDL.

Well assuming the dually has two axles, and the trailers have one or more axles, it looks like you win by having three or more axles.

Do What??

Length has never been a determining factor on whether you need a CDL or not. Neither has # of axles a vehicle, or combination of vehicles has either. It's all determined on the weight, or the gross registered weight you will amount up to.

To the OP....are you going to be Hauling RV's out of Indiana? If so.....90% of the RV Haulers are not required to file IFTA. Some companies require you to Register your 11,500 - 12,200 GVWR Dually for 26K, of which is NOT required by FMSCA Regs, and of which I absolutely refused to do so also. You don't have to down here in Texas....other states possibly.

Let me know if it is RV Hauling you're about to get into, and which company it is you're signing up with. I'll let you know what it is you actually need to get done depending on what company it is you're going to be running for.

If it's not RV's you're going to be pulling....then we'll take the information you seek in a whole other direction...OK. This isn't exactly the place to be with regards to seeking the information you seek with concerns to running down the road in a 1 ton pick-up pulling trailers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
2002 .scales on I-57 in Missouri just so of Cario,Ill. I got pulled in and checked for log book and CDL. I remember it like it was yesterday. I'd just advise OP to check with someone of authority rather than base his decisions based on forum rumor. This is equivilant to "I heard it in a truckstop."
The officer stated the length of the trl determines if you need a cdl. It was a cargo carrying trl, not an RV
I thougt the post above my first on said do IFTA if using a three or more axle combo.
Tho OP said he was going to haul trailers. Wells Cargo type on a lowboy, or RV type ?
The carriers that do this sort of work would be his best source of info.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
2002 .scales on I-57 in Missouri just so of Cario,Ill. I got pulled in and checked for log book and CDL. I remember it like it was yesterday. I'd just advise OP to check with someone of authority rather than base his decisions based on forum rumor. This is equivilant to "I heard it in a truckstop."

The officer stated the length of the trl determines if you need a cdl. It was a cargo carrying trl, not an RV.

I thougt the post above my first on said do IFTA if using a three or more axle combo.
Tho OP said he was going to haul trailers. Wells Cargo type on a lowboy, or RV type ?
The carriers that do this sort of work would be his best source of info.

Who'd you run into up there in Missouri?? Barney Phife?? :)

Forum Rumor??:rolleyes:

Nowhere in any FMSCA or DOT Regulation does it state that "The Length" of a Trailer a Power Unit is pulling is a determining factor on whether a CDL is required to be pulling such trailer. Now, the longer a trailer is the higher the GVWR gets in most cases, and any Officer out there will definately be checking GVWR's on both the trailer and the power unit, especially "longer" trailers, to make sure Driver is properly licensed to be behind the wheel of said "Combination Unit".

But then again, there are 48 to 53ft lightweight Aluminum Low-Boy trailers out there that have a 12.5 to 14K GVWR that if it was hooked up behind, say, an 11.5K GVWR Ford 1 Ton Dually, NO CDL would be needed to run that thing all over the country. AND...on the other hand, there are 28ft Gooseneck Trailers out there that have tandem dually axles which have a 16K GVWR (2 8K Axles under it - Heavy equipment trailers) that if it was hooked up behind the same 11.5K GVWR Ford Dually, then YES, a CDL A would be required run that combination set-up across country.

Back to the OP.....he said "trailer(S)", and my bet is he's going to be running RV's out of Indiana. Some of the Safety Department Personnel in a few of those companies have their Head up their............... I have proven a couple of them totally wrong with what they try to push onto their new drivers when it comes to FMSCA and DOT Regs. But, that's the type of people they get when only offering $10 an hour to manage and keep 1200 drivers in proper compliance. I was offered a Safety Directors position years back with this 1 company that kept 1200-1500 "Contractors" under contract to deliver the RV's for the Manufacturers they represented. Offer was Like $36K a year. I laughed...told it would take minimum TWICE that for me to even consider a relocation move from Texas to Indiana. And Possibly even another $20-$30K added to that due to the number of Drivers they had along with the high turnover rate most RV Hauling companies experience. :rolleyes:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are in kind of a niche field.
As little as I trust our government, I do try to use them to my advantage so, here is my advice If in doubt contact IFTA, your DOT, field office, or best yet a state troopers barracks as theyre the ones who will say "Driver you have a problem". Give your combination specs they will give you an answer and if you visit them they will not only answer your questions, they will often print the reg and interpitation. Best part no ticket. BUT ONLY BEFORE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. Ive got had several questions answered by making a few phone calls. Remember it is on YOU not the carrier, or customer.
Best of luck
Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Aw hell, somone kick me in the head.
I forgot to mention for you to check with the states you plan to run in about truck taxes. The great state of New York charges a highway us tax on anything over 18,000 lbs regardless of combo Its not huge if you live and work outside of New York and a heavy use tax Im well below that as I currently run at just under 26,000 GVW

tryhours3191

Seasoned Expediter
I have alot of friends that pull those travel trailers and the as for the fuel tax. There is none. All of my friends that are in that business have big fuel tanks in there truck beds and buy all or most of there fuel in Indiana

Sent from my DROID RAZR

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Re reading post 2 where it says 3 axles that would be for the power unit. I was thinking combo.
As far as Barney, he sure was. He wrote me an OW tkt, 28,800 lbs on a 28,000 tag. He sold me a $10 OW permit and let me go.
He may have mis-spoke, telling me I needed CDL for the 53' trl when in fact he probably meant I needed a CDL for the 28,800 lbs.
I didn't give it much thought as I had class A CDL and logbook. This was my fourth week of little trucking.
The kicker is,I was running on a temp tag. Although I requested 28,000 # when the plate came in Mo gave me 32,000#. I found out Mo min wt tor an IRP was 32,000#. I called the DA, explained that I had applied for the IRP that would be issued at 32,000# and was dissapointed his scalemaster didn't know that. The DA threw out the OW ticket.
Thank you Barney.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I own a 2006 f-350 pull a 35' trailer the trailer has a gvwr of 22,500 the truck i believe is 13,500

it is a niche market that i do ok in let me put it like this the more weight you can haul the more loads you can put on the trailer.you can try to get by but fuel taxes dont run over 600 per quarter.
I make that up with one load.if you are running an f-350 with 13,500 gvrw you still have to consider the empty weight of the trailer most in the hotshot biz even dual axel with single tires is still going to have an empty weight around 5,000 lbs.
so even you buy a cheap trailer with a 10k gvwr your gonna stay under the ifta but your only gonna be able to haul 7,000 lbs.dont do it although most of my truckload rate freight is under 5,000 but I like to haul two truckload rate loads at the same time collect two fuel surcharges at the same time and roll for well over $4.00 per mile.I may only have 1 or 2 6k weeks a month but thats all you need with a 1 ton pick-up.dont sell yourself short