If ur new or old, things Ive learned.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Im new as a driver in my own cargo van and learned quick on things, but always improving: Dont buy junk n a truckstop, shop at WallyWorld, or Dollar General for food and supplies, use
synthetic oil, run higher air presssure in tires, and slow down, 65 mph is max for me, put a platform on back of van for generator and it swings out so u can load, dont deadhead if u can help it( kills ur profit too). I put a window ac in van for cooling( best thing I did, runs off generator. Stay out longer if possible, use a microwave for cooking as much as u can. Buy food as u need it to save on space and I use a cooler at the moment. Make u a bed so u can store stuff under it etc.
Helps if ur cargo van is paid for too, get rid of all that overhead, and I keep a daily general journal of expenses on a legal pad, now that will show u what ur blowing ur money on and can really wake u up where u need to improve, what else u got to do,,,ur out here to save and make money. Im still learning and I ask other drivers what they do, so if ur new, talk to other drivers and get educated to survive out here, sky.

Last edited:

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Coleman makes a cooler that you can either run off of a standard wall outlet or plug into the cigarette lighter---can be used standing on end like a dorm room fridge or laying down like an ice chest. If the engine is going to be of a while, I'll stop and get a fountain drink and fill an old cool whip container with some ice.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I think this is a great thread for newbies. Also for maybes like me. A while back in the general form A Team started a thread asking members to post three ways thay are cutting cost in these tight times. Might be nice for all to look it up and review it for ideas. Jerry Lee