Idleing in PM

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can anyone tell me if they idle for long periods in their PM diesel. I was told by my dealer not to, but I have also found out the hard way that they have no clues on these trucks in Florida. I'm sitting in Tracy California out in my chair listening to all the trucks motors running, plus getting ate by bugs. Any info would greatly be appreciated

Reactions: ttruck

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can anyone tell me if they idle for long periods in their PM diesel. I was told by my dealer not to, but I have also found out the hard way that they have no clues on these trucks in Florida. I'm sitting in Tracy California out in my chair listening to all the trucks motors running, plus getting ate by bugs. Any info would greatly be appreciated
I'm not sure what kind of diesel vehicle you're driving, but I can tell you I cannot idle my 2011 Freightliner Sprinter.
It has a Diesel Particulate Filter that will Clog up and is VERY expensive to replace.
My suggestion to you would be to Call your Dealer and ask them to explain to you WHY you can't or shouldn't idle. Or read some information online about your vehicle and idling (Google searches). Or next time you see another Driver with the same vehicle, go talk to them about it.
Good luck!

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just wondering the sprinters have a high idle option, do the promasters? I remember there was a guy here in Florida that did fire extinguishers in his sprinter, he used it as a mobile workshop, but he specially ordered it with the high idle option, was set to 1500 if I remember.... That was the only sprinter that I ever seen that was ordered without a sliding door.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The high idle in a modern sprinter will not keep dpf problems away, it might postpone them but it won't prevent them.

I second what scott says, do not idle a modern diesel engine. Invest in a generator etc it will save you money in the long run.