I Need Power! What's the Best Way? 120 Volt Type

tomb1

Expert Expediter
Truck is a 2001 Century, it has some 12 volt outlets BUT it has a power cutout switch so you don't drain the batteries. The cutout doesn't allow you to even run a dome light for too long.
I want a fridge and a microwave and someday a laptop.
What do you recomend for an inverter? It seems that a seperate deep cycle battery would be the hot ticket, but is it really necessary?
I don't really want to idle the truck all the time just to keep the fridge cold.
Thanks in advance for your input.
TomB

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: I Need Power! What's the Best Way? 120 Volt Ty

2 or 3 Deep cycle batteries and a 2000 watt inverter,is the only way to go.The batteries need to have an isolation switch to not drain your starting batteries.

Our system like this give about a 6 to 8 hour time of running Tv,Lap top,fridge. The microwave needs to only be used W/engine running.

Camping World is a good source for all of the above.
http://www.campingworld.com/

tomb1

Expert Expediter

Thank you, rdy trk.
That makes alot of sense and concurs with what I am hearing on the road.
TomB

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter

To power your inverter, look at 6 volt golf cart (deep cycle) batteries...2 in series makes your 12 volt circuit...very heavy duty...there are also some very good 12 volt marine deep-cycle batteries available...shop around for prices...if you're interested, I can post a circuit diagram...

Loose

Drluvv

Expert Expediter

I drove a truck for an owner that had a 2000 watt inverter wired to three deep cycle batteries, they worked just fine powering the whole truck tv, refrigerator, satellite dish, laptop, cellphone, etc. with the engine off. I would be able to watch satellite tv for hours and never ran down the batteries.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter

You don't even need a inverter untill you get a laptop. Then you only need a small one. Everything but the laptop comes in a 12 volt model. Yes, they make a 12 or 24 volt microwave ;) it's made by Samsung for mobile appliacations.

You don't want to try and run a 110/120 volt fridge in your truck. It takes roughly 12 amps of 12 volt power to make 1 amp of 120 volt. a 4 or 5 amp fridge is gonna suck your batteries dead over night pulling 40 to 50 amps everytime it runs, not to mention the extra needed to get the compressor started.

Norcold and others make a 12/120 volt compressor fridge. I have even seen one that could be used to replace a larger size drawer in your sleeper. Only down side to that is a carton of milk won't stand upright.
Regarless, in a truck with a 12 volt system it is best to try and run as much as you can off 12 volts. Inverters work great, but for large items like a microwave or refridgerator they require a LOT of power to operate and in most cases you'll have to run the engine to keep up.