I found the best company out there

G

Why is everyone always picking on Roberts, from my understanding they must be the best company out there. With them you will never ever have to think for yourself, and let's not forget the benefits of being able to see the country while you are deadheading all over the place, and once you finish deadheading to the destination they have told you to go to, you will have plenty of time to see the sights while you wait for (?) hours/days for them to "offer" you your next discounted load. Lets not forget they will offer you even more time to see the sights if you decide to turn it down.
Now I ask you, where else could you get all of these benefits? From what I have heard the other companies out there actually want to see your truck moving with a load on board.

G

Try CON-WAY NOW! They have learned every thing they now from Roberts. Including putting on much too many vans!

G

Congrats to Roberts as well as Conway now.
Hope Panther is reading this board.

G

Panther reading this site - yeah right! I'm under the impression that they don't think technology is important since they don't have a webiste!DD

G

Don, not so, I have it on very good authority that Panther has 3 Commadore 64's, and is looking to add a few more in the coming months. They are looking to get the new computers to speed up their dispatch system. (no expense is to great to keep the O/O's happy)On top of the new computers they will also be updating the dispatch phone system. (of course that doesn't do any good if there is no one there to answer it)

G

I wonder what an expedite company that was run by expedite owner/operators would be like? Would it be just as screwed up as all the others seem to be? Or would it be different??

I don't think so. I think it would be just the same as all the others. The complaints that I see here are not restricted to the expedite business, but are found in all kinds of industries. These problems are not about this particular business, but rather have to do with human beings, and their individual failings, as oppossed to any specific companies faults. Jim Bunting...

G

You got to be kidding? I would be interested in what company you
are with? Have you ever been told you are getting $851.35 for a load
and then got paid $531 oops sorry the dispatcher made a mistake and
of course TST is not going to eat it just us. Have you ever been
told to go get a load DH 137 miles and oops your load was given to
someone else. From what I understand the recruiters paint a wonder
ful picture. Once you buy the truck the picture changes.
Good Luck.

G

Diane,

Ok, so you have had a bad experince. I have to wonder why one would stick around for more- could it be that you are earning a decent living and would rather not be stuck in some factory making $7.00 an hour. No I'm not a "pro-company" suck up...I just know that if we were not complaining here, we would be whinning around the lunch room at the factory.

I know the only way we can change things is to have positive conversation - so let it be.

Randy
TN.

G

Randy,

Oh yes, we are making enough to pay the bills, but I do not see a long term future as yet, especially as o/o there are no benefits. What company do you work for and how long and how much do you make? I am wondering with the positive attitude you have for expediting there are a lot of us out there looking for the right company. Being dissappointed as to the expectations of an investment in ones future is quite different than just complaining about a job.
It seems that those who claim to be happy, do not want to share this information with us who may have not hit on the right company or right method of making the most for dollars invested. If you care to share your secret, I am sure others including myself have eyes and ears wide open. Please feel free to give the positive method as well as you gave your response.

G

It's just that....it has little to do WHO you are leased to, but HOW you handle the day to day operations of YOUR business. I have been in this business as an O/O for 12 years. I have been leased to only 2 companies in that time. I meet people all time who change companies as often as they change their underware.

I'm not afraid to tell you I'm leased with but quite frankley if you are not happy with who you are leased with now, I don't think you would be happy where I am. I'm not trying to "scold" you but this is almost a "life principle". Are there bad companies out there -you betcha. Over time these companies will have an impossible time getting GOOD O/O's. They WILL fall off to the wayside. It's kinda happening now. But it really depends on you and me - I WILL NOT let an outside source dictate my "happiness".

G-DAY
Randy from TN

G

Randy,

Well, just as I expected, you are like all the rest. Whether it be the expediting business, the car wash franchise or the stock market. You all want to brag how well you are doing but you always fail to share this information. It just goes to show that you really have no positive input, just time to tell us all we are failures. So be it. To all others who may have a positive input, Let us negative people hear from you with exact methods and names of the so called good expediting companys, where you can make a decent living. But please refrain from telling us to stop exchanging information and letting others know our bad experiences so they might learn from us. We work for TST Expedited Services, Dearborn, Mi. It is not the worst nor the best from what I have learned. I am however, still dissappointed it is no where near the picture it was painted. To date the biggest problem as I see it in the whole trucking industry is the dispatchers and there lack of experience. Maybe these companies should think about paying them better so they would get more experienced people.

G

Expediting is a strange business! You hate: 1. being away from your family; 2. not being able to talk to a senior dispatcher; 3. hanging out at nasty truck stops, etc; 4. being broke down on the side of the road in the middle of the night; and 5. the weeks when you make nothing or almost nothing. You like: 1. the money you make that good week; 2. not being confined in a factory; 3. being your own boss (sort of); and 4. seeing the parts of the country you never thought you would. It takes a special person to enjoy expediting. "A person who has no reason to live", just kidding! I think once you get into it, it's hard to get out gracefully. You have a truck payment of $500 to $1800 a month that go on and on, even after your truck is almost worthless. That one good week we have keeps us going through the bad one's, if we are lucky. The companys we work for treat us like pawns on a chess board and don't understand that this is our life, not a game! Con-way Now could be the best company to work for, but not if they continue down the road they are on!

G

after many years in the expidited freight racket, the best company
is the one where you drive the companies truck, collect your pay
and bennifits, the last good year for the o/o in expidited was 1994
and it has been down hill since then, as many of you know, with the economy
so good why in the world would anybody buy a 70-80,000$ truck
for the right and prvilidge of making less than minimum wage with
no benifits , provided your your truck lasts the 5 or so years
that the payment book lasts --- think about it

G

Geryy hits it right on the nose.we all need to wake up and smell the roses.

G

YOU MAYBE RIGHT.THINK ABOUT IT,
HOW MANY OF YOU ARE MAKING A GOOD LIVING? MOST OF THE EXPEDITERS I TALK TO ARE JUST BARELY GETTING BY.I BET MOST OF YOU HAVE LITTLE OR NO SAVINGS FOR YOUR RETIREMENT. I KNOW ALL SITUTATIONS ARE NOT THE SAME,BUT YOU WILL NEVER GET RICH DOING THIS.

G

I agree with you Jim. From our side we don't always see the other
side and their daily frustrations. I'm glad that I don't have
the pressure of being on the dispatch team i.e. unhappy drivers
calling in while they are trying to talk to customers and
book loads. Too many times I think the drivers don't understand
this.

G

I agree ....like the good Book says "do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

That said....I still dont like some college aged cracker telling me how to survive in this business. 10-fer?

THE X

G

Maybe the best thing for all of us in this business is to run the exhaust pipe in the truck and go to sleep............nah, it ain't that bad is it? Just think, if you don't make a lot, you don't have to pay Uncle Sam. According to my accountant, I only made $40 last year doing this!