I am thinking of a career change.

paul42701

Seasoned Expediter
I am 50, just tired of my current career. Self directed as I have been in management and supervisory positions for 30 years. Can a hard working man make money in a cargo van? Is a team driver set up better in a larger rig? Please answer honestly. Thanks.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I think the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes you can make money in a cargo van and no not right now. Things are in a rather severe slump for van drivers (at least the ones I know) right now. The "D" truck drivers I've talked to seem to be much busier than us van guys. Even then I'd say that the carrier you choose will make a big difference on how busy you will be. Willingness to work is very important but so is your carrier, your location, and luck. Do your homework before you make the plunge and try driving for a fleet owner before you buy a truck.

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
Stay at your current job.I had a retirement coming in and tried expediting. After 4yrs deceided to give it up.Too many companys,vehicles and drivers.It only keeps you in the poor house.One good week,one bad week.Companies dont give a rats A_ _ about you as long as they can get that one load covered.To much idle time now days.I quit the business in Feb and have really enjoyed time home with the wife.Havent worked at all and seem to have as much money from my retirement to get along.Before was always borrowing from retirement to keep fuel to run after setting for long periods of time.Retired and enjoying it.
Only the GOOD survive and the smart ones get out while the getting good

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
C or D trucks yes you can make a living but (my opinion) only with a handfull of companies. My observation is one can do just above break even with any company, but to save for retirment and replacement of a truck plus take care of bills at home you have got to be with the right carrier.

My idea of making a living includes covering the above three items listed, personal savings, business savings, and being able to cover ones personal expenses. NO ONE LIKES BEING BROKE. At least I hope they don't.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
It definitely depends on the carrier. I was with one who would send me out on let's say a wednesday, and I didn't hear from them again until the next monday or tuesday. I have since moved on to another
carrier and that has made all the difference in the world. I am quite literally getting almost 3 times the amount of runs the previous carrier was able to get me in a weeks time. The most important thing is being in the right place at the right time. Easier said than done, I know.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
OK letz this site is all about helping others not make the same mistake.. Who is your current carrier and congratulations (SERIOUSLY) and who did you use to run for???? Don't be Shy....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about the bigger trucks, but w/ vans ya can make out ok, not great but ok, if ya realize one VERY important thing. Do NOT buy a new vehicle for this venture. You'll end up working 2 weeks a month just to pay for your vehicle & maybe even more if ya have a slow month.

I would strongly advise keeping your van & insurance payment under $500/month. Keep it even lower if you can. It also might not be a bad idea to see how long your company will allow you to keep your van. Most companies allow em up to about 6 model years or so. Ask if you can grandfather your van in (like if you buy a 2002 van, will ya be able to use it after 2008 if you can show you've kept it up). If you can, find the best van you can around the 2002 model year. If you can't, purchasing a 2003 or 2004 might be the best way to go.

In this business, like a lot of em, it's not just about what you can make, but more about what you'll put in your pocket after all your expenses.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

lovingit

Seasoned Expediter
WE STARTED IN FEB. OF THIS YEAR AND AFTER 30YEARS OF PUNCHING A TIME CLOCK. WE GOT INTO THIS, WE DID SOME READING AND MADE THE DECISION TO GET INTO THIS AND LIKE OUR PIN NAME WE ARE LOVINGIT. IT HELPS WHEN YOU FINE GOOD PEOPLE FOR OUR SUPPORT GROUP AND A GOOD COMPANY WITH GOOD BACKING THAT WE EACH NEED TO KEEP US RUNNING. BUT THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE TO ANY ONE IS THIS BELEAVE IN ONE SELF AND HOW YOU TREAT PEOPLE AND MOST OF ALL HOW YOU TALK TO EACH OTHER IS WHAT WILL MAKE OR BRAKE YOUR LIFE AND MONEY TO ME IT GO'S HAND AND HAND.

BEST OF LUCK

LOVINGIT.....