How to get OTR Experience?

thefather

Seasoned Expediter
I have searched the forums here but don't think I have found this covered.

How does one get OTR experience?

What I mean is this... I have talked to several companies and they all want 6+ months of verifiable OTR Experience.

I do not have anything commercial that is verifiable.

I have lived on the road for jobs in the past and am very familiar with the lifestyle, the do's and don'ts and what nots. I m not exactly wet behind the ears.

I would have a better chance getting on as a driver with OTR exp. But thats not an option.

Can anyone give some advice on how I should or could proceed with trying to get on as a non cdl driver for a company? I plan on getting CDL after a couple months of driving.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Do you know anyone who Drives Solo? If so, There are Some companies who will let that Driver/Owner Train You which would give you some OTR Experience. However While you are Training, the Company would run you as a Single Until you get your CDL. Atleast that's what a Company did for me when I was Training My Co-Driver, But as soon as she Got her CDL Then we were run as a Team.. Good Luck :D

thefather

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Poorboy

Thanks for the response. I used to know some solo drivers but i fell out of touch with them. I am thinking I may need to work with some of the big haulers to get on through a training program. I did talk to one company that has already told me they will pay my tution as well as hotel for 3 weeks as long as I give them a year of OTR. Then after that I could pretty much do what I wanted. Expedite or drive big rigs if I want. But main thing is I would have that CDL.

Its a lot to go thru just to get OTR exp and all but in the end would be worth it. Although I'd rather just drive a sprinter or cargo van for someone to start with.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Watch those Companies Verrrrrrry Closely! There is at Least 2 Companies that I Know of who will do what you Said, But After getting you the CDL They Make you wait in a Motel or Someplace for weeks at a time at Your Expense to wait for a Phantom Driver/Trainer Hoping that you would get Fed up and Quit and then Smack you with a Very Large CDL Training Bill! Maybe if you PM Some of the Van/Sprinter Drivers/Owners on this Site, They might know of Someone Istead of Taking a Chance with those Other Companies. Just From Being on this Site, I Know there are Many who Would Have the Information that you would be Looking For! They are All Honest and Pretty Knowledgeable.. :D

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If your looking to get into Sprinters/Cargo Vans you can do like Poorboy is suggesting and post an ad in the free classifieds.

thefather

Seasoned Expediter
I am very familiar with stories such as these and I definetly am being careful. Like i said I have one company that wants to send me to Fort worth for 3 weeks. My only out of pocket is $86.00 for the license and food. They pay everything else, Tuition, Hotel, DOT drug test & Physical.

This is not really the route I want to go but if in the end all gets me where I want to be then its well worth it.

I appreciate the advice!

Watch those Companies Verrrrrrry Closely! There is at Least 2 Companies that I Know of who will do what you Said, But After getting you the CDL They Make you wait in a Motel or Someplace for weeks at a time at Your Expense to wait for a Phantom Driver/Trainer Hoping that you would get Fed up and Quit and then Smack you with a Very Large CDL Training Bill! Maybe if you PM Some of the Van/Sprinter Drivers/Owners on this Site, They might know of Someone Istead of Taking a Chance with those Other Companies. Just From Being on this Site, I Know there are Many who Would Have the Information that you would be Looking For! They are All Honest and Pretty Knowledgeable.. :D

thefather

Seasoned Expediter
I have posted an ad as well as replied to several other ads and never heard anything either way except from one driver who suggested I add a couple pieces of info to mine. Kind of sad that people who place ads have not responded to me. Guess they filled the position quickly or decided I was not worth responding to. Thats kind of ok though. If I can mange to find something then i want the person I work for to be attentive like I am.

I will be posting a different ad here in while based on feedback from you and Poorboy!

Once again good advice & Thank You!

If your looking to get into Sprinters/Cargo Vans you can do like Poorboy is suggesting and post an ad in the free classifieds.