How to get into the business?

Redbeard1969

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all,

I'm an out of work truck driver who has the opportunity to purchase 3 cargo vans for expediting. I know I need a DOT#, an MC#, and commercial insurance. What I'd like to know is, what else do I need? Also, can I just sign on with one of the major carriers, i.e. lease my trucks onto them, or what? I'm totally new to this but would like to make this work so I have a nice income.

Thanks for any advice,
Jim

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Read ,read, read,You will also need 3 drivers who have the expertise in this field.If you wan't to make a small fortune in this buisness,start with a large one.Unless you have done expediting in the past,you should get your feet wet,by driving for someone else first.3 people trying 2 make aliving off 1 van is very hard 2 do.Good luck

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You won't need your own numbers if you're going to sign on with a carrier. Getting your feet wet by driving one of the vans yourself would be a good idea to get a feel of what you're dealing with and what your drivers will be going through. Much of your T/T experience won't apply to expedite. Take some time to read here.

Redbeard1969

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just wasting my time then. I've spent the past six months trying to get a job working for someone else to wet my feet in the business but all I get is "you must have at least 2 years expediting experience to work for us". Can't do that if no one is willing to hire me so I can get the experience. It's the 'ole classic catch 22. Guess I'll quit wasting my time and just get out of the trucking business altogether.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just wasting my time then. I've spent the past six months trying to get a job working for someone else to wet my feet in the business but all I get is "you must have at least 2 years expediting experience to work for us". Can't do that if no one is willing to hire me so I can get the experience. It's the 'ole classic catch 22. Guess I'll quit wasting my time and just get out of the trucking business altogether.

There are some carriers being more selective when putting on CV's....the experience thingee just prevents any chance of discrimination suits..
Traditionally Jan and Feb were slow months, BUT things have changed as all things do...and with Christmas Holidays coming and planned shutdowns....now just is NOT the time to be getting anyones feet with....Knowing what i know now I would wait if possible till end of Feb?March to make any move...