how to attach e track (van)?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So, if i have my plywood floor attached with self tapping screws into the floors crossmembers, whats the best way to go about attaching the e track properly? Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to construction type stuff.

Ill just fire off a bunch of questions i have about it....Are there self tapping bolts i can use? do i just drill a hole in the plywood and crossmember and stick the bolt through and screw a nut on the bottom? If so what kind of drill bit would it take to do this?

I also was considering a row on both walls on the lowest crossmember....how would i attach a bolt to this since i cant go inside of it to screw on a nut? how is doing this accomplished?

As always all your help is greatly appreciated.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, if i have my plywood floor attached with self tapping screws into the floors crossmembers, whats the best way to go about attaching the e track properly? Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to construction type stuff.

Ill just fire off a bunch of questions i have about it....Are there self tapping bolts i can use? do i just drill a hole in the plywood and crossmember and stick the bolt through and screw a nut on the bottom? If so what kind of drill bit would it take to do this?

I also was considering a row on both walls on the lowest crossmember....how would i attach a bolt to this since i cant go inside of it to screw on a nut? how is doing this accomplished?

Weld it to the floor then cut the wood to fit around it.

Sent from Deep in the backwater swamp

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

Weld it to the floor then cut the wood to fit around it.

Sent from Deep in the backwater swamp
i dont own welding equipment lol.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Short of having it welded, I used self tapping screws for mine. Sometimes still need to pre-drill a hole. You will need a drill bit made for metal, or have a whole lot of drill bits as I quickly found out :rolleyes:

I have a row of E-track along each side wall. I couldn't image not having it. I use them all the time. They are especially great for securing barrels.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Hope this gives you an idea. I used self tapping screws. Didn't worry about cross members....just put enough in that it didn't matter. Be careful when you get to the back by the spare. I had to let the spare down and put a spacer between the spare and the frame to make sure the screws would puncture it. Not very difficult of you put the etrack down and build around it.

Definitely use it. I would be lost without mine.

Attachments

• 20160930_190008.jpg
    20160930_190008.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20160930_190022.jpg
    20160930_190022.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 34

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah i decided to scrap the side wall e track instead im going to screw in some strong metal loops and use the hook style straps for side to side securement and just e track on the floor.