How Old Is Too Old

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
Looking to get back in a truck after about 4 yrs on the curb. Do most of your big carriers still folllow the 10yr old truck age limit restrictions? Ive got a few leads on a couple older trucks that are low milage for their age but they are over 10yrs old. I dont want to spend good money on a truck with no where to take it. Dont have a boat so dont need a anchor...
Thanks for any help you can provide.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Looking to get back in a truck after about 4 yrs on the curb. Do most of your big carriers still folllow the 10yr old truck age limit restrictions? Ive got a few leads on a couple older trucks that are low milage for their age but they are over 10yrs old. I dont want to spend good money on a truck with no where to take it. Dont have a boat so dont need a anchor...
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Most of the carriers are 5-7 yrs on Tractors and 10yrs on Straights and C/Vans but want newer. Some will take them if they pass an inspection, so that's a tuff question to answer. Call around with the company's your looking at and ask a Recruiter. Surely they can't lie about that one.:D;)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Most of the carriers are 5-7 yrs on Tractors and 10yrs on Straights and C/Vans but want newer. Some will take them if they pass an inspection, so that's a tuff question to answer. Call around with the company's your looking at and ask a Recruiter. Surely they can't lie about that one.:D;)

Actually, I think you posted in reverse. Tractors and class 8 straight are 10 years with the biggies. Smaller engines have shorter life spans, and therefore are 5-7. Part of this rule comes down to customer contracts as well. GM won't let trailers (and boxes I am assuming) that are over 10 years old onto their property.