how not to unload a truck

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A driver standing on the ground below in a seemingly safe place away from the forklift might end up in a world of hurt. Make no mistake. Loading docks are always dangerous places to be. It pays to keep your eyes open and your head looking around.

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Ow!
If he had a seatbelt on would/did it help?
I'd like to make a comment about the intelligence level of your average fork truck driver, but I drive an expedite truck for a living so I can't really say much (it's that glass house and stone throwing thing :) ).

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
That acually happened once at a Dock I was at. Different circumstance though, the truck did not set its brakes so when the Fork lift backed out there was a gap and it slamed to the ground. No Cholks under the tires either double wamnmy. Only the trailer brakes were set and the sliding Tandems were also pulled so thats how the trailer and Tractor moved. Seriously hurting the Driver even with a Seat Belt on (Ambulance and firetrucks.)

I did not see it happen but boy I heard it.

Glad it was not I.

nebep

Seasoned Expediter
Bein' a expeditor rookie with dock experience with a major motor carrier - I can say with MUCH qualification that it ain't fun when that happens!!!

From a BIG pool experience on the admin side of all of this WITH living with a truck driver all my life - The biggest mis-conception I see on all sides of the truckin' biz is that "his job is easier and pays more than mine..."

Just my 2 cents...

prescat

Expert Expediter
A Team is right. People sometimes get complacent, but a dock/warehouse can be dangerous. I was fascinated when I picked up once at that huge carpet manufacturer in Dalton. (the one where the drivers' area is up above looking down at the dock). There were dock bays on all four sides, and atleast 25 forklifts running around with those sword-like attachments that added another 10-15 feet, picking up up giant carpet rolls. It was fast moving and looked like a giant ant farm. (more like an anteater farm) Those guys were really skilled and it looked like a precision operation, but I couldn't help to wonder how many accidents they had.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Hi speaking from years on loading dock, we had a guy go off, the back of a trailer as it was pulling out driver thought he was done unloading the truck. Thank God he wasn't hurt. After that the driver had to be back on the dock for loading or unloading, fork lift driver had to visually check for chocked wheels. Then we got new dock plates with lights, and arm that would hook ICC bar so the truck could not pull away easily. Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker