How low can they go

aileron

Expert Expediter
After declining rates and opportunities (possibly caused by flat rate trucks), this was the last straw for a TT contractor. This week he got an opportunity for a short load, accepted it and got it. 10 min later he got a call from FedEx that they took him off the load because they gave it to one of the dedicated drivers.

How much lower than this can they go? Not only they bypass percentage rate trucks for opportunities, they also take them off loads for their dedicated drivers. I understand if they made a mistake giving him this load instead of the dedicated driver, but then just let it be and don't do it next time. But I guess they want to keep those ones happy more than the percentage trucks.

Nevertheless, they won't have another opportunity to pull something like this ever again. Today he will turn the trailer in, and on to another company that values their contractors.

Sad.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think it is wrong to take a truck off a load once it has been dispatched. It seems to me a contract has been made with the offer and acceptance. Money could have been exchanged if the driver had taken an advance as soon as he was dispatched.
There is a difference between a dedicated driver and a flat rate driver.
Dedicated are CS, DS, ES trucks that stay in one area such as NYC to Jamaica to Newark.
Flat rate are CA, DA, EA trucks that run all over the country for one rate.
It probably went to a dedicated truck that is assigned to that area and normally runs that customers freight.
Still doesn't make it right to take a truck off a load.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Jim, I know what you are saying about dedicated and flat rate.

I think that for a reason or another the dedicated guy that usually does that load (it was an LG load) was not available and it was offered to other trucks. So my friend got it, and after that, the regular guy came available. Just wrong to take my friend off the load just to give it to someone else.

Well, they lost a good guy.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Jim, I know what you are saying about dedicated and flat rate.

I think that for a reason or another the dedicated guy that usually does that load (it was an LG load) was not available and it was offered to other trucks. So my friend got it, and after that, the regular guy came available. Just wrong to take my friend off the load just to give it to someone else.

Well, they lost a good guy.

I agree.
Just wanted to point out the difference for other readers.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's not right. I came to FX initially because they were a company of professionalism, honesty and integrity. They didn't do this kind of stuff, which many others did do. They were better than this. They were reputable. They did what was right by the contractors. Now we hear about this type of thing somewhat regularly. They have declined and degraded so that rather than being the one to model after and aspire to they are just another face in the crowd. It's sad the leadership closes this path to lead down.

xlr81966

Seasoned Expediter
This kind of Unethical BS happens all the time. Had a truck dispatched on a load, Driver arrives at shipper,hits Qcom for P/u Arr.,Dispatch calls and says they are taking him off of the load because customer requested a certain unit. Come to find out the truck dispatched on the load had been sitting in the customers parking lot waiting on this certain load. Sitting there seeing my unit pull up for the load , he calls dispatch and raises enough hell that they pull my truck off of the load and give the load to him. Bad part was the dude sitting there waiting on that load was already dispatched on another load. The most Unethical BullS--- i have ever seen. Called in and and went straight to the top concerning this and was told We're sorry but there is nothing we can do about this. And preferential dispatch happens all the time!!!! Getting Fedup with the Fed!!!!!

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
it's sad when we lose a good driver,team because of this kind of thining happening. Been here 11 years,and this is not new, pulled off loads and given to another truck . happened to me on several occacions, it hurts ! What's new is now we have flatraters and co. trucks were in competition with ( who of thought we have to compete like this). No it's not right,once you accept a load and it awarded to you it should be yours if you are qulified to haul it.,if taken away for no justifiable reason then you should be compensated,or given load of equal or greater value and not left in the cold. been there too.
I wish him the best wherever he goes.
Always hate to see good people go.