How does expediting work?

chaz

Expert Expediter
Hi,
I am pretty new to the site and have been reading and reading.Could you answer a few questions please? I appreciate your time.
1. If I were to use a cargo van,could you recommend a make and model and the particulars please.
2.I live about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh,PA, if someone would hire me as an owner operator with a cargo van,how does this work? As far as picking up loads? Would I start from the Pittsburgh area and just start from there,or would I have to deadhead to the main hauling areas to pick up a load.Also,once you pick up a load and deliver it,would there be another load for me to pick up,or would I have to wait there for next load,or drive somewhere and wait for next load etc.? Also,for hometime,would there be loads coming back to Pittsburgh area,or would I have to deadhead home?Sort of just looking to see how this whole thing works.Also,can you make some pretty good money as a solo with a cargo van?Also,I take it that you would need cargo equipment to secure the load? Thank you for your time again.I'm sure I will be asking more questions.I really think I would like doing this and am losing my job this summer.
Chaz :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are so many aspects that you should talk to as many recruiters, drivers, fleet owners as you can. In addition, the above advise of reading the posts on EO. Every company as well as fleet owners will be different. "Just one piece of advise will not suffice as they say". Take your time and educate yourself as much as possible.

chaz

Expert Expediter
Thanx for the info. I am looking for one of these recruiters perspective.I have been reading,cant seem to find out all the exact details.

chaz

Expert Expediter
Thank you for helping me understand.Am I allowed to ask which company you represent ABC? Thank you again,
Chaz

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Chaz,
Well here goes. Expediting in a nutshell! Fewer miles, less fuel cost, less maintanence, higher rate of pay which usually relates to a better bottom line.

1. Make and model of a cargo van. Entirely up to you. As long as it meets the requirements of the company, the choice is yours.
2. Doesn't matter where you are from, most expediting companies have you attend some sort of an orientation where they are located. After orientation, as long as you are ready, you can be dispatched going somewhere. The next load will normally pick up from somewhere near the area you just dropped off from. Remember, it is your vehicle, and the decision making is normally up to you, depending on the company you lease to.
3. As far as how much money you can make in a van, once again a lot depends on the individual behind the wheel. Normally, a cargo van owner will make between $800-$1200/ wk.
4. Load securement- 2 straps and a 2x4 with e-brackets.

Hope this helps,

ABC

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Chaz:
Here are some tips for persons contemplating becoming Owner Operators in the Expedited Freight Industry.

Understand the definition of Expedited freight. Expedited freight is extremely time critical, “plant shut-down”, “red-hot” freight. Without this freight assembly lines and/or other manufacturing processes will stop or cease, possibly costing the manufacturing concern(s) (again possibly) hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour in “down time”. Expediting came into existence as an alternative to keeping large stocks of inventory and the evolution of Just-in-time (JIT) deliveries.

Drivers who pick up and deliver expedited freight should be aware of the extreme need for the parts or product they transport. Expedited freight loads generally have the following characteristics:
· The load generally picks up as soon as possible and is delivered as soon as possible (safely!).
· The load is driven STRAIGHT THROUGH unless otherwise directed by dispatch.
· The truck is generally exclusive to the load (meaning for one customer only) and generally has no stops or drops other than the final destination.
· Communication with dispatch throughout load transit is essential – generally at least every three (3) hours.
· Expedited freight moves 365 days a year, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. You never know when you will be called for a load, or where you will be going until you get the call.
· The “next load” is not always waiting for you once you deliver. Vehicle size (cargo vans and straight trucks), the premium price paid by shippers to ship expedited freight and the uncertainty of need for expedited freight attribute to sitting time and limit your miles and ultimately your revenue. Freight does not magically appear from the skies.

Personal Qualifications for any driving position.
Be a businessman first, be a driver second.

Research carriers. Will they accept inexperienced or recent driving school graduates? What size vehicles are they presently seeking? How much do they pay – is it a mileage or percentage basis? If you have any past criminal convictions, will they hire you? Where do they operate? Is your driving history (MVR) within the carrier’s hiring criteria? Is your employment history good?

Obtain the correct license for the vehicle you intend to operate:
Cargo vans can be legally operated with your “Operators” Class D license in most states. Some states, such as Michigan mandate that operators of cargo vans obtain a Chaffeur’s license. Some carriers require that operators of cargo vans obtain a Class C CDL which is basically a Chaffeur’s or operators license with a Hazmat endorsement.

Straight trucks under 26,000 lbs. GVW can, in most states, also be operated with your “Operators” Class D license. Again, most carriers will require you to obtain a Class C CDL, and possibly a Class B CDL, for this type of vehicle.

Straight trucks over 26,000 lbs. GVW or that have 3 axles or more, always require the operator to possess a Class B CDL.

Tractor trailers or any vehicle combination of vehicles where the trailer (and load) exceed 10,000 lbs. require a Class A CDL.

Obtain any license endorsements required by the carrier.

Obtain a “Contractor/Driver Requirements Checklist” from the carrier you intend to lease onto. This checklist will detail all items and documentation required to drive for that carrier.

Obtain or apply for special carrier requirements such as CDRP or FAST programs for Canada.

Obtain a DOT Physical and Pre-employment drug screen. CHECK WITH THE CARRIER YOU INTEND YOU SIGN ON WITH PRIOR TO GETTING PHYSICAL AND DRUG SCREEN FOR THEIR REQUIREMENTS. Some carriers will only accept physicals and drug screen performed at their authorized facilities and doctors generally during their driver orientation. If the carrier allows you to select your own facility and/or doctor, be sure that only DOT approved or regulated forms and procedures are used.

Vehicle Selection
Proper vehicle selection is critical to your success in the trucking industry. If purchasing a cargo van, maximize your load carrying capacity by purchasing a “one ton” van. A one ton van is designated by “E350” if a Ford or “3500” series if a GMC or Chevrolet. Purchasing an “extended” van will also allow additional cargo length.

I hope this answers many of your questions. I will be speaking on this subject at some "Expo" (???) in August. Hope to see you there.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter
:)

chaz

Expert Expediter
HotFr8Recruiter,
Thank you so much for the time that you took in giving me alot of needed information.
Chaz