How do I obtain a CDL B in Illinois?

dvb1217

Seasoned Expediter
I have been thinking about driving as a career for a long time. I think the best job for me at this time would just be driving a cargo van or box truck on a daily route. Can anyone tell me how to go about recieving the proper training for this in Illinois? Are there special training schools I need to be looking into, or do I just find the right size vehicle and go take a written test and driving test?:p

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well first you should go down to the license office and get the CDL (commercial drivers license ) book and study it and decide which company you plan to go with because some companies might require you to also take the Haz mat test too. No schools for cargo vans or box trucks only schools for big trucks/straight trucks. maybe someone on EO should start a school for cargo vans:D

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you could go to school but its a waste of money. as stated get the book study and take test. when you pass you will get a permit so you can drive w/someone for some wheel time b4 you take the driving portion of the test. but as stated figure out what endorsements you need first. no need to test and pay for them if not needed. if you just need it to drive a van cause of company policy just go take the test.