how do i get started?

G

what are operating costs for "d" unit?
-which recruiter do you believe?
-why don't they give thier co. freight rates?
-is thier a co. that is most desirable?
-what is a reasonable annual income?
-what is reasonable time to be on road? (how many days)

i would appreciate any feedback

G

I have done real good with Panther II. We dont have alot around upstate NY. I think roberts express is the only guys there. I may be wrong.

If the recuiter isnt willing to show you their rate sheet - I would'nt consider running for them. Geez, isnt that illegal?

I starved in my 24' truck till my wife ran with me. Had my cousin in the truck but all my funds went to him or the truck (lol!) and to him at 1800 hrs it was Miller Time. Not a good thing in trucking.

I have got lots of info from this and jrimons site. Good luck.

G

Eric, If I were you I would find a company that sounds interesting to you and find an owner operator who needs a driver and try it for 6 months. By then you will have the information you need to make a decison for yourself and in case you don't like it you won't have saddled your self with an $80,000.00 truck to get rid of. That is my best advice.

G

Eric, I will echo the point made by WildBill. The best way to get experience in expediting is to drive for an owner who has all ready set up a lease with a company. In a siuation like that you are going to get your feet wet, but with a life belt on. By that I mean that you will only be responsible for your personal expenses while on the road, but not the cost of operating the vehicle. This will allow you to find out about the unpredictable nature of this business, and how just as you think you have it figured out, here comes another curve ball.

Give it a reasonable period of time, and keep very detailed records of all you do, and spend. By this method you will be able to see if you are making enough dough to sustain yourself, and to pay for a truck, if you had one. Good Luck. Jim Bunting. Field editor. Expeditersonline.com