How did you start driving expedite freight????

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Would anyone like to share how they came to be expedited freight drivers?

I'd like to know:
1) Why?
2) Age?
3) How long from the time you made the decision to your first gig?
4) Did you work for somebody first?
5) Is it the best decision you ever made regarding work?
6) Did any of you have to move to be closer to the freight lanes?
7) Size unit you drive?

I think this would be an interesting thread.

Thanks.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Chetjester. That is an interesting question, and yes, I'll take a poke at it.

1) Why?
I was driving a flatbed and spending a good part of the pay on phone calls. My wife also wanted to driv but not flatbeds, so we looked around and found expeding a good compromise.

2) Age?
55 when we started.

After the decision to do this, there were the decisions about what size truck (B,C, or D), new or used, what specs were important and how we wanted to operate this business.

4) Did you work for somebody first?
No. We bought our truck used from another Roberts Express contractor and went to work. We got our first gig the same day out of orientation.

5) Is it the best decision you ever made regarding work?
That takes in a lot of territory, as we have had a lot of different work over the years. Let me just say that at this time in our lives, with the kids grown and gone, this was and is still an ideal choice for us.

No. I really could not see the logic in working for a company that absolutely had no chance of getting you home.

7) Size unit you drive?
Started with a C unit and moved on to another C unit. If a good used one is available when we buy again, we'll stay in a C unit.

Vernon

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
1.Went to t.drive school.soon became unhappy w/big trk.I had inquired with Roberts expesss before going to school.When they called 6 mo later to ask if I was still interested,I jumped.

2.53 at start

3.45 days

4. No

5.Best for peace of mind.

6.No

7.First 4 years in a van.then 12 years in "C" Unit.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Chetjester! I like this thread and hope many others do too. I posted a link at the bottom of this reply that I hope will also be of some help to others doing research in this profession.

>I'd like to know:
>1) Why? 2 reasons. 1, saw the bucks and wanted to be a part of GET THE MONEY!!! 2, I don't like and never did like working for someone else.
>2) Age? I was 39 when I took my first step
>3) How long from the time you made the decision to your
>first gig? After about a month of some serious thinking, and another month of some serious brainstorming did I get paid for my first mile as an expediter
>4) Did you work for somebody first? YES!!! I believe in this opinion from the others. If you do it and decide it isn't for you then you aren't out anything. This too in my case was the best way to learn how to play the game, learn the rules and get paid while doing so.
>5) Is it the best decision you ever made regarding work? NO! I would have to say it is the second. I decided on the first day of the first month that I was going to be a carrier, but had to be a driver first to learn the rules.
>6) Did any of you have to move to be closer to the freight
>lanes? No I didn't. I live in a fairly good area
>7) Size unit you drive? I drive a B unit
>
>I think this would be an interesting thread. I also think this is an interesting thread and hope a lot of the members answer it. This thread prompted me to do a thread in hopes of helping others. The link is here: http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/816.html

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'd like to know:

1) Why? Worked at near bankrupt printing co. as press mechanic. As place went downhill, started driving local truck for co. and found it more interesting than being locked in the sweat shop all day.

2) Age? Decided to become official "trucker" and got CDL at 28,
am now 35.

Got first gig delivering beverages a few days after getting
CDL. Drove TT for a few months for co. in PA, then found
local guy looking for driver. This was first expedite job. The
job was listed as straight truck driver for local co., I didn't
even know what expediting was when I started working for this
fleet owner.

4) Did you work for somebody first? Yes. Became O/O 6 months after
starting first expedite "gig." Then I found out I was termed
an "expediter." I thought I was just a trucker :)

5) Is it the best decision you ever made regarding work? Thus far,
definitely. Not a "spur" decision, just something that developed.

I did not. Live in good area for freight.

7) Size unit you drive? 24' D unit.

-Weave-

This might sound silly, but it's 100% true. Many people getting into this now do so much research on it beforehand as there is an encyclopedia of information on the subject now. When I started out, there was basically nothing on the internet. Short of some Roberts and Tri-State trucks running around, I did not know what they did until I was put in a "Thompson" truck doing the same thing.
-Weave-