How did you get Started in Expediting ?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In 2005 the company I worked for went out of business. So I looked in the paper and saw companies hiring, but needed own cube truck. I bought one and used it but it was a gas guzzling E450 v10 . I wanted something with better gas mileage and didn't like doing logs etc, so after not to long got rid of the cube van and went on to drive a sprinter,then cargo van.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
I guess the main reason is my wife retires from the school system in June and this would be the best way for her not to have all day to make honey do list. Just kidding.

The real reason is to make a living doing something where I have some element of control. When I was in Information Technology, I got burned out by the corporate world after 15 yrs. Went to School and got a degree in Computer Electronics Technology and ended up Working for an Electrician due to bring in my 40's and at that time it the corporate world appeared to prefer younger workers. Graduated in the top 3 and had a 3.75 avg. I enjoyed the Electrical trade and found the best job instwlling HVAC controls for Siemens Building Techmologies, they paid very well, but not as good as IT. Was layed off in 2008, 5000 people got the axe. The Managers that I worked with sat me down to warn me and made it clear that I was a great employee and not to take it personal. In order to keep from going nuts, volunteered to make the needed repairs at the Church while job hunting. Got a job at a trucking company in the freight forwarding department and enjoyed talking with the drivers while getting scheduled updates and in the yard during cigarette breaks. We were slammed with work, but when things slowed down, got layed off again. This hit me hard. Went back to my fall back, installing DirecTv, but the pay rate per job was much less. One day in 2004, I made $500 and $150 in tips! Quit because of getting home at midnight and having to report in by 6am, my route had a long commute. The new daily pay was $100 per install located a few hours away, where getting signal was tricky. No install, no pay. Tried selling DirecTv but didnt do too well. Been looking for work for 4 months and have a pickup truck, so why not try right. The courier business pays $1 per delivery, screw that. So I got a DOT # and soon am waiting for MC # to be approved.

Since Im new to the driving side of the business, EO has provided alot of insight as with other sources that I am using for research.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Just received word from the Eye Doctor that I just fall under the new FMSCA requiements for the federal vision waiver, but qualify for aVirginia CDL.

Possibly, I could become a pickup/delivery agent since I hold FAA Cargo Security certification.

The class b cdl is a major help with my options of being a company driver or independant. I may be eligible to get a state contract, have to check with the VA Department of Rehbilitative Services. Worked with the Department of Visual Services in 1990 while in the Jaycees, driving the blind to thier meetings.

We'll have to see how this unfolds, since once my Authority goes through I can accept airfreight.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Started in 2010 when I bought my first Sprinter. I'm on my 4th now. All 2006 models. Maybe I'll get a new one... one day :) I hear the newer ones are nice. I wish I'd bought a new one in 05 and started back then.