How bad is US160 from Cortez CO east to I-25?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I've been wanting to get out west since I started doing this and I finally got the right load. Minnesota to Pueblo for good $. As luck would have it, my best bet to get out of here with shirt intact was booking a load from Cortez, CO (sw corner of the state) that was heading east.

So tomorrow I'm doing US-160 from Walsenburg, CO to Cortez, CO and back again in a 24' straight truck with air brakes. I know not to ride the brakes going downhill and all that, and I've got a few years experience with air brakes. But compared to terrain I'm familiar with like hilly bits in Pennsylvania and the occasional jaunt across I-40 into NC, how much of an adventure am I in for? What's the pucker factor on a scale of 1 star to 5? :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It is a nice easy ride that I have taken a couple of times. The pucker factor was a 1 or 2 no real issues any driver with a little experience couldn't handle. FYI Be prepared for that scale in Cortez to be open.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
It is a nice easy ride that I have taken a couple of times. The pucker factor was a 1 or 2 no real issues any driver with a little experience couldn't handle. FYI Be prepared for that scale in Cortez to be open.

Music to my ears. Thanks!

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Now that I've done it and am now a bonafide mountainman... :) For anyone else making the trip, maybe my insight will be useful.

As you leave Walsenburg you start climbing almost right away on your way up to La Veta Pass (9,400 ft). Then you drop down onto a plateau (7,500 ft +/-), but they call it a valley, the San Luiz valley. This goes on for maybe 80 miles. It's not much different from crossing Ohio really but there's more to look at and if you're not used to the elevation you might not be feeling real well.

And then you come to Wolf Creek Pass which was pretty cool. Officially it's 10,850 ft but Streets & Trips said 10,885. It's a 7 or 8 mile climb and a 7 or 8 mile descent at maybe 6% or 7%. Nothing crazy.

Did you know that there are 88 fourteeners in the US and 53 of them are in Colorado? You can see 3 of them off to the north just west of La Veta Pass.

Something to note: trucks that are over 16000 lbs empty and don't have apportioned plates have to pay $62.12 to the state of Colorado for the privilege of driving on their roads. They swipe your credit card right in the weight station and you're good for 72 hours. I guess that's Colorado's way of saying welcome and enjoy your stay. It almost put a damper on my trip but I refused to let it bug me.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Your not a bona fide mountain man until you do that in February. Now your just a paid tourist.

You're right of course. What's freaky is the chain laws go into effect Sept 1, tomorrow. I'm in Kansas, just a couple of hundred miles from Colorado and it's 100 degrees!!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I ran a bid for Roadway that put us thru Eisenhower Tunnel six times every two weeks.
I saw 9" of snow on 4th of July weekend higher up than I-70.
In early Oct you would start having 70 closed at night for snow. Also late April and into May you might hit some pesky little snow issues.
They take that chain law real seriously out there. And for good reason. One or two fools spin-out and it messes up the whole evening.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice piece of Hwy, just left Denver last week. This time of year all should be clear for the next 30 days. Wolf Creek summit pass can be some serious downgrade, of course I am running a 06 sprinter T1N. Enjoy your travels! Makes me miss going through Lake Shasta Northern Cali, great views up in Lone Pine as well!

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I have to go into Denver Sept 22 & I don't have chains,I'll be in a 24' straight.I'm going from 80-76
then down to OKC.This will be my first time out there.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have to go into Denver Sept 22 & I don't have chains,I'll be in a 24' straight.I'm going from 80-76
then down to OKC.This will be my first time out there.

Better buy some, the fines are expensive.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The odds of you using them are slim.

If you think you may ever return and may have to use them, it's a good idea to install them once or twice in warm, dry weather.
On a cold icy shoulder is no place to figure them out.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the heads up,I checked the weather report & the low should be 30,don't have any chains & I guess if it snows I'll just wait till the road clears.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The odds of you using them are slim.

If you think you may ever return and may have to use them, it's a good idea to install them once or twice in warm, dry weather.
On a cold icy shoulder is no place to figure them out.

Been doing this almost 5 years, and have no idea how to sling chains. Thursday evening, we'll be flicking a switch. Mama said she wanted precious metal for our anniversary. I'm delivering, as per the norm.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Been doing this almost 5 years, and have no idea how to sling chains. Thursday evening, we'll be flicking a switch. Mama said she wanted precious metal for our anniversary. I'm delivering, as per the norm.

But your taking all the fun out of it. LOL!