how bad is this ??????

pete222

Seasoned Expediter
3 Trips 2,067 paid mi. gross pay $2,406 average $1.16 a mi.with fuel.New to expedie can I do better (STRAIGHT TRUCK):eek:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Pete;

For the trips you did, some carriers would have paid 2067 (miles) X $1.20 (rate) plus fuel surcharge (24%) = $3,075.70.

Keep in mind rates and fuel surcharges vary from company to company.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

groinster

Seasoned Expediter
Some companies only pay 1.12/loaded mile. It really depends on the contract you sign with your carrier. It seems like most carrier pay 1.12-1.20/ mile on a straight truck that doesn't have a lift-gate or reefer (just a regular box truck). So i would think that 1.16/mile plus FS is average.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
3 Trips 2,067 paid mi. gross pay $2,406 average $1.16 a mi.with fuel.

Is this leased to a carrier or running your own authority? What size straight truck? The worst rate I'm aware of is $1.05/mi. plus fsc for a C unit. Based on current fuel prices the fsc should be at least a quarter a mile so anything below $1.30 with fsc is a very low rate and for a D unit $1.20 plus fsc should be considered a base rate. For carriers paying a percentage instead of a fixed rate the numbers should be similar as far as base.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Leo,
Good point, but keep in mind some companies do take care of a lot of overhead.

Independant contractors must look at the whole picture!! Some companies pay for all

insurance, tolls, bridge crossing and all deadhead. So Pete, at $2400 for the week, what

expenses did you incur for that week? Also, I can't remember do you run solo or team?

ABC

groinster

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sorry, I didn't read the post correctly. 1.16 including FS??? YIKES.

Leo,
Good point, but keep in mind some companies do take care of a lot of overhead.

Independant contractors must look at the whole picture!! Some companies pay for all

insurance, tolls, bridge crossing and all deadhead. So Pete, at $2400 for the week, what

expenses did you incur for that week? Also, I can't remember do you run solo or team?

ABC

Exactly. Need more info to compute....

pete222

Seasoned Expediter
I Run Solo I Pay Fuel Tolls Ins. No Deadhead Pay, I Came Out Here To Make $ I Just Need To Find The Right Co. To Get On With Or Go Back Out On My Own.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I also run solo with a 22’ dry box minus 30” for storing my 1982 Yamaha XT550 (gotta have fun), liftgate and tag axle.

Like you I’m paying fuel, tolls and insurance. Deadhead pay is negotiated prior to accepting or rejecting run.

The lowest rate I’ve seen in 13 months is $1.40 which included 100% FSC.