How about a 50,000 lb. payload straight truckk???

E7mack96

Expert Expediter
I am considering removing a dump body from one of my 7 axle dump trucks. The chassis is legal for 77,500 gross wt. With a 26 ft. box, it would weigh about 26,000 - 27,000 lbs. This would give me a solid 50,000 lb. payload.

Is there enough heavy things being moved yet that could be moved by this setup (or we could go stakebed style)

I have been pondering this idea for 2 years now.

I would be able to haul anything a semi could, weight wise.

Wadda-ya think???

E7

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: How about a 50,000 lb. payload straight truckk

WOW!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously, I would contact some of the companies and ask them. I have heard of Tri-State and some others recruiting specialized equipment, ie. flatbeds, etc.. so why not a super heavy straight truck? I'll bet some would be HAPPY to get it.

Dreamer

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

It might see very limited use for what it is, but for the most part would be serious overkill for expediting. For the total cost to run a heavy duty unit like that and what you might see back in comparison to a standard expedite truck I don't think it's practical. The thing is, the expedite companies aren't going to give you any more PPM to run it as they will still consider it a D unit. I would call around and ask if you have nothing else to do with the unit, but I think it will still make more money as a dump truck.
-Weave-

E7mack96

Expert Expediter

I wouldn't lease it on, as that is what I do.

I would got out and drum up business. I am just looking for an idea of the amount of heavy machinery type loads that are going on out there.

Most of what I haul is very dense. i.e. heavy weight, but small cubes.

I was thinking that I could get the same type of rates as the drag gets ($3.00/mile or so)

The drag is really big, but the straight truck could move same weight. It could get into a lot more places easily too.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Tony, it seams to me that a flatbed-coveredwagon would be a better choice. This would give you double the load choice. When it warrants a flatbed you have it. When it warrants a box, convert into a covered wagon and there you have a box. Good luck!!! From the other Tony!!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I think it would be great for heavy equipmet moving. There is a place I know in Rochester, called Boulter, that use heavy duty straight trucks for rigging. They move large printing presses and such, also with tractor/trailers.
-Weave-