Hours of service

Bob

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ya know, I sure wish somebody could explain how these rules(without quoting the Federal Carrier Regs, which I have read a dozen times) of service work. And also the new proposed rules.
The difference it will make. How about an article which could go into more depth. How about it newbees, do you really understand it?

Wrong Way

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As of right now:
You can be "On Duty"(total of lines 3&4 in your log book) for 15 hrs before taking an 8 hr break. (actually you can be "On-Duty Not Driving" as long as you want, just don't drive if you have over the maximum of 10 hrs of driving or a maximum of 15 hrs of "Driving" and "On-Duty Not Driving" before you take an eight hour break.
Then you have the "70hrs / 8 day rule". Simply put you can only be on duty for 70 hrs in 8 days. (once again you can be "On-Duty Not Driving" as long as you want, just don't get behind the wheel and drive unless you have hours to do so).
Remember, you only go into violation when you DRIVE.
Also, some drivers will tell you that you can only drive 10 hrs a day. That is false. you can drive 10 hrs, then take an 8 hr break, then drive some more.
As for the new HOS rules. Don't worry about it. I read in a trucking newspaper that the government isn't going to do anything about that for at least 2 years, it might have been 3
Hope this helped, Wrong Way