Hours of service rules observations

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I´ve been reading about the new HOS rules, and kind of lurking, as the comments and articles pile up. It´s only a few days now, until the rules go into effect, so I thought I´d throw my two cents in. I don´t think there will be much change in anything, except maybe a long awaited rate hike on short runs. I remember when everybody was fearful of the CDL license, and also the first HOS rules change. The debate went on and on, but it changed little. The rates have gone up, albeit not in step with many other industrial sectors, but rates rose never the less. The american trucker is an independent cuss, and these new rules are made to be broken just like they always were. I see some creative logging in our future, as well as a rise in load refusals on those short runs where a single has to budget his time, company or O&O. On the long hauls, it will be business as usual, because it won´t really affect the singles, and the teams will get around it.Receiving operations will have to be more efficieant, as well as shipping. I doubt if the government will back down from this, until and if there is another lawsuit from some concerned misguided group of statistic watching do gooders, who don´t know the a pintle hook from a bungee cord. That´s how it happened in the first place, after the first revision of HOS rules in over 60 years. I, for one am not going to worry about it, won´t be getting out of the business, and I won´t be getting less miles. You can take that to the bank.