Hours in a cargo van

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
In another topic a driver complained about getting a message from safety suggesting he take a 5 hour nap after running 18 hours . He felt he only needed 2 hours sleep and that's all he took . Is that the way you people operate ... suggesting only 5 hours rest in 24 ? ( The driver started at 6 a.m. , was told to take a 5 hour nap at midnight which would put him driving again at 5 hours . Driving another 4 hours then would make only 5 hours sleep in 27 .) I know drivers under 10,000 GVW don't have to log but if Parents Against Tired Truckers or Public Citizen knew cargo vans were running this way you can bet they'd be crying for all commercial drivers to be required to log . If a driver running this way was involved in an accident you know an attorney would get a deposition and the driver could end up in jail , as well as the dispatcher . I believe the driver said he would be 6 hours ahead at midnight so an 8 or 10 hour break would put him behind schedule . There's something very wrong there .

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
2millionplus
}> Crazynuff: I would think that any company that would say that to a driver must be nuts. We here at Con-Way NOW will only dispatch a single for no more that a 750 mile load, that is still around the 12 to 14 hour mark. Then it is up to the driver after that to say, if sleep is needed, "I need rest and cannot be in-service until XXXX time." Due to not running logs, it is hard to keep up, but the only time we would dispatch on that long of a run, is if you have the weekend to drive one.

Questions like yours, just show the rest of us that the Human Condition is not always a factor. A dead driver is good to no one. So keep on with the questions, make us all stop and think of what is more important, our safety or the almighty dollar.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Follow up qustions showed this driver only had to drive another 2 hours after sleep to deliver the load and he was 5 or 6 hours ahead . That being the case , since he started at 6 a.m. , why ask him to drive on until midnight ending up running 18 hours rather than having him stop at 8p.m. and only working 14 hours before getting rest ? Even then he would only be able to stop 6 hours to be on schedule . Most drivers know they can get by on that much rest but it's a liability risk . Several driver's say they've been in a situation where they " had " to run this way . There is too much potential liability involved . They don't have to do it . The driver also said he had 2 days off prior to the run . That means nothing . The driver involved in the fatal wreck that resulted in the organization of PATT was running legal . He had been off for the weekend and was shopping all day with his wife before starting a night run and fell asleep at the wheel . According to the PATT website no charges were filed against him .

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bet the driver and his insurance company payed out a large settlement Crazynuff. Even that no criminal charges are filed, the civil lawsuit can be filed. So any one driving should always be sure they follow the HOS rules even though they do not have to log.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
All the controversy over requiring black boxes , few people know how much info can be gotten from truck computers already . Sometimes it works for the driver's advantage . A driver hit and killed a female police officer parked on the shoulder in Nashville . Charges claimed he was going 80 m.p.h. and never slowed before hitting her . The computer proved he was going the speed limit , slowed , then locked the brakes before hitting her . Her car was partially in the travel lane . The driver might have gotten charges dropped but he had a horrendous driving record .