Hinos idiel issue

Wrench_Turner_and thrower

New Recruit
Mechanic
Ok 2009 hino 268 box truck has surging idiel then stalls hard to start after that will ideal at 900 rpms with pto set
After testing a few things the exhaust chocks engine out I disconnected electric plug now it starts and will ideal at 860
I only have to deal with this one hino so no diag tool have to do it old school
originally came in for loosing coolant found crack in radiator replaced coolant loose was cut in half so checked EGR cooler and found it to be leaking coolant into exhaust system replaced that
and pulled dpf and sent to be cleaned had to replace because it was cracked sent to hino to have regen system reset truck ran a week and started the issues from above
Could the whole issue be the exhaust flap out of adjustment that's located just before the dpf system

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
The surge could be caused by a suction control valve, a loose or bad connection on the common rail fuel pressure sensor. Wiggle the sensor for the common rail and see if it get erratic. As for the SCV if you gently tap on it and the idle smooths out you most likely have a issue with the SCV. It is kind of buried in there and you may need an extension to get on it. As for the exhaust brake adjustment yes it could choke out a motor and make it stall. It can be set but you have to have the dealer software to set it properly. I charge an hour to adjust it if the bolts don’t brake. If left out of adjustment or unplugged you could damage the very expensive filter you just installed.i would re connect the solenoid get it so it works. Call the dealer and tell them you would like the exhaust brake adjustment performed. Unless you can get copy of the software. The Russians sell a copy on eBay and the Chinese Nexiq knock offs work just fine. For $200 not including a laptop you could get your own software. Just a thought. Let us know how you make out.

New Recruit
Mechanic
The surge could be caused by a suction control valve, a loose or bad connection on the common rail fuel pressure sensor. Wiggle the sensor for the common rail and see if it get erratic. As for the SCV if you gently tap on it and the idle smooths out you most likely have a issue with the SCV. It is kind of buried in there and you may need an extension to get on it. As for the exhaust brake adjustment yes it could choke out a motor and make it stall. It can be set but you have to have the dealer software to set it properly. I charge an hour to adjust it if the bolts don’t brake. If left out of adjustment or unplugged you could damage the very expensive filter you just installed.i would re connect the solenoid get it so it works. Call the dealer and tell them you would like the exhaust brake adjustment performed. Unless you can get copy of the software. The Russians sell a copy on eBay and the Chinese Nexiq knock offs work just fine. For $200 not including a laptop you could get your own software. Just a thought. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks for the help it was a sanity saver. Working on getting software if you have the specific name of the after market it would help it would not pull up for me or my it guy thanks again the hino dealer will not tell us anything and the info on here is awsome

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
The Nexiq’s are available from amazon or eBay. The dx software is available on eBay. The adapter you need for the Nexiq is available on amazon. For $22. I just posted the link on her for someone less than a month ago.

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thanks I told my guy that's buys diag stuff.
Also manager called our hino dealer they said we can just adjust it we don't need the software so I showed them all the post from here about it they decided to train their guys on procedure due to the bad info they gave me Thanks for the correct info this is now my company goto for hino info

Reactions: Hino123