Hino Truck

rollybil

Expert Expediter
It's funny that I was just talking about how bad the Hino truck is yesterday and this morning my driver called me and told me the truck has problems again. So here we go again the truck is going back in for repairs on Monday. The other day I called the managing rep for Hino and told him I bought this truck new so that I would not have to worry about breakdowns. I told him this truck breaks down more than a truck with 700,000 miles on it. My truck does not even have 50,000 miles on it. If I had to do it over again I would walk past the Hino and buy a Freightliner, Kenworth, etc. but never a Hino. They can't take the miles, hills, or the weight on the truck.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Rolly whats been the problem, Injectors?

Almost all trucks are going to come with a handfull of Injector problems. We get to pay the whole TAX for all these tree huggin, Owls Saving, Pita minded Enviornmentalist.

I know I am sounding like a smarty here, but its a fact. The engine mfgs, cannot catch up to what is being demanded of them. These trucks are expected to still get the same mpg, but send out no polution into the air. While WE ARE THE TEST DUMMIES, what seems to be taking the toll are injectors, Cat, Cummins, Mercedes, Internationals you name it these diesels are not holding up or the injectors are not able to. A very expensive repair I may add.

If you have an 04 or newer get prepared, down time, plus the costs. And once out of Warranty its gona hurt.

rollybil

Expert Expediter
Everything, air conditioning did not work from day 1, Electrical problems from day 1, Drivers constantly having to find someone to jumpstart them(Battery promblems), transmission trouble, steering troubles, the list is endless. The truck I have is a 2006 Hino, automatic. You would think this truck was a 1986 model. This truck is junk I say, junk.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
we drove one of those hinos for a while about a year ago and couldnt get out of it fast enough. It was a 338 with an automatic, and seemed like a good idea at the time. The mileage was unbelievably terrible around 6 mpg and couldnt get out of its own way, with any kind of weight at all. the fuel tanks were really small and fuel was a constant hassle. the rpms were really really high going down the road.
never ever again a hino.

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
Oh yeah batteries your right there, yupp didn’t even give the stock 2 a chance went out and got 3 new truck batteries for my truck before hitting the road because Hino is new to the over the road idea and I’m sure 2 little car batteries are fine with a local truck with out a sleeper but that’s some thing the dealer should of thought of.

Ac problems was it a Hino problem or sleeper manufacture problem? And is the electrical problems in sleeper not the Hino?

What transmission & steering trouble you been having?
Tranny take to Allison no matter what brand truck you have they know more than the dealers about there own product.
Steering is TRW truck shouldn’t be no problems there with what mileage you have on it although might need an alignment mine did when new but wasn’t the front was the rear not Hino’s fault the sleeper co put the box on and stretched the frame the rear was off my dealer paid for mine though.

Alvin

garman351

Expert Expediter
We have a new Hino 338 with a 6-speed and we had the gears changed to 373 from the 410 before we bought it, and we get around ten MPh and it is not broken in yet.

Problems (NONE AT ALL) We have close to 40K on ours and we really like our unit. More power would be nice but, I would rather have the better Mpg in our 260Hp

The automatices are not geared properly for over the road.

Garman :D :D

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Sixwheeler)
You have made some valid points against Hino's,Yes the fuel tank is to small, the Automatics do need another gear that is why they "did not get very good MPG" and the stock seats are not designed for Highway use and the rear gears being a 410 was just stupid for highway use.

I'm very sorry you were one of the first to buy? or drove one of these new awsome trucks. It was drivers/owners like you who complained about all the above problems and as time went by dealers were tired of the complaints and they also wanted to make things better and many changes were maid and I would like to say thank you, you did make a big difference, at your loss I'm afraid, but that is life its not fair or always good or right all the time.

When I purchased my new Hino, I wanted the extra fuel tank, "they only come with one 52 gallon, wanted aftermarket highway quality seats, a gear change from the 410 to a 373, and wanted the 6-speed manual because of the reports of bad fuel MPG with the autos and lack of power. The dealer changed out the factory battery's to three heavy duty deep cycle ones because of previous problems with early Hino's,I did not have to pay for that either. I wished I had air horns installed instead of that weak car horn, but that is something I can do no big deal.

Its funny I was verbally attacked about my "Fancy sleeper" being on a so-called garbage can something?? I forgot what he had said and a mentally like that his comments do not matter anyway. Yes I bought the best sleeper I could find, as I have been told it's my home & office and living out of it for weeks at a time I wished I could afford a pullout, hot tub,well thats just not possible or affordable. but that is what I deserve like the rest of the drivers who spend so much time away from home they deserve the best they can afford!

As far as price goes, I saved app: ten grand over what I would of paid for a new Freightliner, trust me I looked real hard at all my options before I bought my truck. I also could not afford to pay around another four thousand dollars for the extended warranty's compared to the standard three year warranty the Hino has, or the very low interest rate Toyoto offeres compared to around 10% for every thing else I looked at. 10% on a 100K add that up over five years!

I would love to own a new Freightliner etc, I simply could not afford to pay over 2K a month for truck payments. And my Hino works very well so far. Also most People do not know the suspenshion and the auto transmissions etc are quality American made components found on most new American made trucks. So did I purchase a cheaper made truck I dont think so, the Hino debate goes on but from where I sit so far I did make a good choice. (Time will tell) Like everything else.

I have read a few threads here recently about People complaining about bad service from certain Freightliner dealers?

Take care,
Garman351

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Hi can you tell me more about the battery thing? I am picking up my Hino in a couple of weeks and may need to tell dealer to change out batteries? We are getting the auto shift but have been told the 6th gear has been engaged on the auto now. So hopefully power and fuel consumption will be reduced. We did opt for the lower number rear gear and they are working on yet a lower one, factory testing it so I am told. We still got a good deal and will hopefully not encounter some of the problems of the 06's. Sorry you had so many problems.

Dianne

rollybil

Expert Expediter
Hello Dianne,

Have the dealership put in 3 new batteries, the same size with an isolator switch. The Hino Truck factory installed two batteries and if you keep it that way you will be sitting on the side of the road not moving. Then what happen to me is they added a third battery that was not the same size and it had the system all messed up. So if you get 3 batteries all the same size with the isolator you should be alright.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
Rollybil, thank you for the info, I will make sure we get 3 of the same batteries with an isolator. Had a similiar prob with my Freightliner, had to add an extra battery with an isolator, prior to that was always hunting for someone to jump start us..

Dianne

:)

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Hino batteries definately aren't for highway use. I noticed that about a month after getting on the road. It seemed to me that my APU was always running in "Batery Charging Mode". So on a whim and after having to get a jump start, I stopped at the first WalMart I saw.

I purchased three Walmart Deep Cycle, Marine/RV batteries. Along with a few other items, I beleive the Batteries were $59 bucks each. I installed them myself becuase I paid way to much money for my truck to have a $10 buck an hour knucklehead work on on it. The installation took
me about 1 and 1/2 hours to complete.

I have had the Wal-Mart Deep Cycles for two weeks now. I couldn'r be happier, my APU now cycles on and off to run the Climate Control only.
Which means it mostly stays off. So for less than the cost of one optima battery I have three Wally_World batteries. So if they last me a year or two I'll be happy, I beleive they have a three year warranty but I bought them as an experiment anyway.

I also looked at Sears Die-Hard batteries which have a 180 amp hour rating instead of the 150 on the Wal-mart Battery, The Sears battery was $77.00 each, I opted for Walmart as opposed to Sears because the Sears batteries were too large for my battery box.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Garman,

What company are you with as I recall we picked up our truck a month before you and yet we only have 35k for miles 3k of which was on it when we took delivery.

FECC so far has turned out to be alot hype, our in service time since Sept has been %98 so it's not from lack of trying on our part.