Hino 268 Problems

sidepiper

Active Expediter
Hi, I have a 2005 Hino 268 with a allison 2400 trans. and air brakes. Truck was running perfect and then the abs light came on as well as the trans. light. I was able to limp it 1 mile to a safe location and it had blown atf out of the vent. I changed the atf and filters, replaced the rear shoes and drums which were needed, cleaned and checked the wheel sensors to no avail. If I clear the codes the truck will run for a short time but then the lights come on including inhibit and the truck won't move. Any ideas before getting it towed to the dealership??

All this happened after dumping 10 yards of mulch in someones driveway but there was no atf fluid left on the driveway. The route I took to the house did have some steep grades.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Yes it locks in gear and we have to put along. Turn of eingine sit for 15 minutes it goes away

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You Do This At Your Own Risk..
Ive pulled wrenches many times in the past so check thees out.
Make friends with the creeper as you will spend the better part of the day working.

Common problems and repairs.
Are you using filters made by Allison?
Did you keep the old filter?, Whats in the filter can tell how deep they need to go exess metal and cluch material is bad, fairly clean is good. A transmission mechanic cutting it open with a filter cutter will help him diagnose a problem the filter may have imploded especialy after market filters or if you run WAY BEYOND the change interval 50,000 miles This is rare and unlikely if you used Allison filters
Look up the allison website you can look for a wiring schematic and diagnostics sheet this will help.
DEGREASE EVERYTHING.
Check the wire harnesses and grounds broken or shorted wires.
Clean the harnesses with brake cleaner blow them out with compressed air if you have it or at least let them air dry.
make sure they are clean and tight they can wear and become loose. There are at least two depending on your set up. Mine has one main on the back of the trans and two at the multi function swich on the left side newer setup you may have only onelook for others on your unit. Check the connections at the transmision controll moduel clean and tight.
Make sure the grounds are Metal to metal sand, clean and seal the grounds so they dont corrrode.
Also REMOVE the transmision cooler and lines make sure they are clear or have them flushed ONLY THE COOLER AND LINES FLUSHED. NEVER FLUSH A TRANSMISION you can wreck a perfectly good transmision and its a waste of money.
If you have over 250,000 miles on your unit or you dont know when it was last changed change the fluid and filter I dont care if its a new filter its under ten bucks for a filter at allison. DO NOT FLUSH TRANS JUST DRAIN INTO A CLEAN CONTAINER AND FILL USE ONLY ALLISON TRANS SYNDits no more dificult than doing an oil change on your car handy little drain plug no need to drop the pan. Internal filters only get changed at rebuild. KEEP THE OLD FLUID FOR THE MECHANIC also check the torque on the pan bolts work form the inside out not too much just snug em down.
Important step have somone at allison pull clear the codes when you are done hopefully somone is honest and wont rape you to push the clear button just like a car the trans will get and store "garbage codes" .
Some school bus shops may be able to pull and clear code even if they cant repair it I have a bus shop near home that has helped me out.
If your problem comes back you got bigger issues.
Good Luck.
If you have questions feel free to contact me
585 414 7732
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited:

sidepiper

Active Expediter
Change of plans, getting the truck towed to my house tomorrow, I going with what Bob said, I ordered new sensors for the trans. as well.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
good luck, hope it works out. Like I said have the codes pulled and cleared becaause every little thing that pops an error code gets stored. Even garbage codes that may be from somthing like a dirty or shaken harness or nothing at all. Been there, done that.
Even if the light goes out the codes are almost always still in storage and will create havoc eventualy.
Let us know how you make out.
feel free to give me a call if you need advice.
585 414 7732

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW Im in the eastern time zone. and plan on being available friday through the weekend have it off.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
if all this fails, dont take it to a hino dealer. take it to an allison shop. they are readily available. most detroit diesel shops and clark shops are certified allison repair facilities. there are some very good ones out there, depending where you are, might be able to recommend one.

sidepiper

Active Expediter
Replaced all sensors, cleaned all electical connections, trans still goes into limp but the inhibit light has not come on since I replaced sensors. Do I have to clear codes to see if my work fixed the issues?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Why mess around trying to fix this?, this isn't stuff for the backyard mechanic.

Take Dynamite's advice and get it to a certified Allison shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

sidepiper

Active Expediter
Why mess around trying to fix this?, this isn't stuff for the backyard mechanic.

Take Dynamite's advice and get it to a certified Allison shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Cleaning and replacing sensors is very easy to do. I would google NSBU switch, tell me about backyard mechanics and how they most likely saved themselves $1000's

sidepiper

Active Expediter
FIXED!!!!!!

Let me lay it out.

Truck running perfect, then abs light comes on and the the trans. goes into limp mode all within 3 minutes. Drive 1 mile in limp to mechanic, trans. fluid blows out the vent because it overheated in limp. Mechanic starts with new filters and fluid in trans... result, nothing. We then check the wheel sensors and change rear brakes and drums because it needed it anyway.... Nothing. I download a meritor abs manual and do the self diagnostic check by using the button onder dash, the flash code ends up being "high volts to ecm". I end up getting truck towed to my house. I clean and cheack all harness and ground connections, change all sensors on exterior of trans. and the NSBU switch....still no results! So now I go back to the abs issue thinking that its cause is making the trans. limp. I check the voltage of my batteries when the trucks is off. 13.5,,,.....I then start the truck and check the voltage on the batteries. 18.2 v Ding ding ding.

The voltage regulator in the delco alternator went bad and caused high voltage to go to the tcm and ecu. I put a new alternator in and the truck is running like new!!!!!! Glad I didn't to it to the nearest dealer 2 hours away!!!!!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You gota love multi plexing of the vehical electrical systems last thing I would have checked or even thought of was an alternator. Ill keeep that in mind next time My transmission locks up. had it happen once neck breaking speed of 15mph Glad it worked out without getting mugged and raped at the dealership.
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was told a voltage meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter is pretty much standard issue for an expeditor. The last fleet owner I drove for had them in all his trucks. I bought myself a really fancy one. About 5 feet of cord with it for more mounting options.LED digital readout. Shows voltage 24/7. We look at it everytime we wake up and enter or exit the truck.
As soon as the alt acted up you would have caught it.
About $20 at Walmart.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i would of thought the voltage gauge on the dash would have showed higher than normal.

im all for backyard wrenchen. i do alot of my stuff myself. my only thing is, looking at the bigger picture. were you on scheduled home time or did you take time off ? what was the cost off all the stuff you did that didnt fix the problem ? what was the cost of however many tows ? what was the cost at the dealership that didnt fix the problem , aside from the brakes and drums that needed to be done anyway. compare all these costs to just taking it to the allison dealer and you might be suprised at the cost vs. cost.

chances are the allison dealer has probably seen this before and might have had it diagnosed rather quickly. just sayin.

but would be curious of the cost of all you did to finally find the problem. let us know !!

glad you got it fixed though.

Last edited:

sidepiper

Active Expediter
Total cost, 311$ for fluid and filters for trans. $325 for shoes and drums, needed anyway $405 for labor for the brakes, trans. service, inspection and tow to my house from mechanics. $100 for 3 sensors for trans. $30 hino service manual 3 day subscription, $83 for the NSBU switch for trans. $178 for new alternator. BTW I have no volt meter on my dash. I am a landscaper so I used another truck while it was down.

Total. $1430.00

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still, Definetly cheaper than having the dealership, they would have replaced at least those parts, probly more, and at 100.00+ PER HOUR.
Look up MOTOR publications they have actual REAL shop manuals that will walk you through every part of car up to heavy truck repair. If you have the time, tools, and guts to do the job it will lead the way. A full set of truck manuals will set you back a few hundred bucks but, at least you will also know if you want to take the job on rather than let a parts installer guess at what it is and pay an outragious rate for it.