Hino 268 crank no start

04Limited

New Recruit
Mechanic
I have a 2017 Hino 268 that cranks but will not start, gauge cluster lights up but will not toggle through any screens, gauges do no sweep, cel or svs lights do not illuminate, I have checked wiring, fuses and relays. I do not have access to dxii right now but I have jpro, jpro connects but shows no active codes but I do not think it is working correctly. Any ideas?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That's pretty interesting. With Jpro connected, can you go into the engine ecu and command things like the EGR, VNT, ITV? Can you view live data?

Just for the hell of it, disconnect the pressure sensors on the air tanks and see if the cluster starts working correctly.

04Limited

New Recruit
Mechanic
It would not let me view any info in jpro or go into any other screens, one thing that caught my attention was when jpro first connects it shows a mock gauge cluster on the screen but the only gauges that showed anything was the rpm gauge which was pegged out and the coolant temp which read 155* but the truck was cold never started this morning. So no live data or anything, I did not check the pressure sensors on the air tanks.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Is ENG ECU main 2 fuse in place and good? That's ECU memory, and when you key on the ECU grounds the Engine ECU main relay, providing power to the ecu and turning it on. Without this power source, the ECU won't do anything.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Chances are good that the ECU isn't powering up, or there are communication errors. The Junction box on the firewall behind the air filter is prone to water intrusion. Might want to open that up, disconnect everything, and inspect for water or corrosion. Might want to check the CAN physical layer for correct resistance.

Reactions: 04Limited

04Limited

New Recruit
Mechanic
No, had to end up getting it towed to the dealer. To busy to get back and look at it again. Thank you for the replies on it though, if I hear what they found I’ll be sure to let you know.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sure thing. Curious, which port did you have jpro hooked to? To access the engine ECU you use the 16 pin connector.

MaxTech

Rookie Expediter
I have same issue 2007 UD 2000 - cranks No Start —but runs on start fluid. No communication with ECM (JPro) ....Transmission sets code Lost Communication with ECU U0115. All powers n Grounds Present at ECU (with Main Relay Jumped) . Fuses Ok. —-> Noticed/Found ECU main Relay Gets Power but ECU not grounding Relay Coil. When i manually Ground ECU Main Relay coil control wire—-PCM gets power —but Still No Communication and Truck Cranks Over but Doesn’t Start..... im heading towards BAD ECU.... what you think?

Reactions: Erick Coto

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have same issue 2007 UD 2000 - cranks No Start —but runs on start fluid. No communication with ECM (JPro) ....Transmission sets code Lost Communication with ECU U0115. All powers n Grounds Present at ECU (with Main Relay Jumped) . Fuses Ok. —-> Noticed/Found ECU main Relay Gets Power but ECU not grounding Relay Coil. When i manually Ground ECU Main Relay coil control wire—-PCM gets power —but Still No Communication and Truck Cranks Over but Doesn’t Start..... im heading towards BAD ECU.... what you think?
I've never seen a bad Hino ECU. It's possible, but more likely it's something else. I'm not super familiar with UD wiring, but many of these Japanese trucks feature a box full of connectors that fill with water. Id look at those areas first.

Erick Coto

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi, Maxtech

How you fix it?
What was the issue?
Thanks

Erick Coto

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
How you fix it?