hino 195 DFE light

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
Hi guys I have a little 2014 Hino 195 with 65,400 miles on we use it in our flooring company
The other day was coming back from Jacksonville to my shop and about the last 30 miles the DEF light came on so I look in my book says to drain the DEF tank. When I did stop to get fuel the truck went into 50 percent power was a scary ride back with no power.

I took the DEF filter out this morning and it to me looks dirty... I’m going to try and drain my DEF tank but there are 3 hoses I cannot get off I don’t want to break anything and my nearest shop to work on it is over 60 miles one way

any information on how to drain my tank or remove these hoses or what I should do would be gladly appreciate and were I can get a new DEF filter from
Thanks Ron

Attachments

• 27B38F65-279E-40D6-9B47-7F56FFA93FA4.jpeg
    27B38F65-279E-40D6-9B47-7F56FFA93FA4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 187F46EC-2233-4FF1-AC52-D778C4496C1B.jpeg
    187F46EC-2233-4FF1-AC52-D778C4496C1B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
Ok I got the tank drained and a new filter in it
Filled it back up with about a gallon and a half of DEF I pulled the battery cables as I worked on it
For a few hours it starts right up but still in limp mode with the dash light flashing any help would be a blessing
Thanks Ron

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
I am guessing you will have to reset the code. probably need Hino DX software for that

Ok thanks I guess I’ll have to get it towed up to my dealer it’s like 120 miles one way
If the dealer has to clear the code how much will it cost a few hundred dollars or less ?

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you follow the directions in the owners manual when you changed the DEF?

I got some bad DEF and the "change DEF" warning came on at 3 a.m. on 95 in Eastern Connecticut. Lots of hills and not much in the way of open truck stops. It derated and had a real hard time getting up some of those big inclines. When I came to an all night rest area with services I bought some fresh DEF in the convenience store and followed the owners manual on changing it. My 2011 258 LP calls for shutting off the engine, turning the key to "run" but not "start" and draining the fluid, then refilling it--all while the key is on.

Seems that the truck needs to confirm that the level went down, indicating that the DEF it deemed bad was removed, and then it needs to see new fluid added. My DEF warning and Check Engine Light stayed on, but the derate stopped and I made it the remaining 200 miles or so to my destination. Since it was running well, I figured I'd run it back home and get the Check Engine Light reset there, but after about 100 more miles the DEF warning went out. So I stopped and shut off/restarted the engine and the Check Engine light went out also.

Beyond that, I'm not much help if you have a bad def quality sensor or something, but I know the owner's manual was quite specific on the method of drain and refill. If yours says the same thing it might not hurt to try it. The next derate is to 5% and you might not be able to drive it anywhere then.

Reactions: epoxyman

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
My book just said to drain and refill the DEF tank
Did not say anything about leaving the key on....
I looked and reading it twice.

I’ve got about 1 or so gallons in the tank now
I bought a2 gallon can and filled it about 1/2 gallon and drained it then did it again hopefully it flushed the old stuff out then put the gallon I had left in with the new filter.

I wonder if I should turn the key on drain and fill back up if that would work and get it out of limp mode..

Ron

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
I did as you said I cut the truck onto run not starting it drained the DEF tank a light came on saying low DEF I then filled it back up with more DEF the low level light went out and I started it up and went for a 40 mile drive and it’s out of limp mode cause before I could not get over 30 mph now I’m back up to 65-75 mph
But the one light never went out was the bad DEF light is still on but now at least I can drive to the Hino shop and not have to pay for a tow truck over 120 miles one way
Thanks so much at least now it’s out of limp mode

Ron

Reactions: RHITruck

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, that's great to hear! When you said that procedure wasn't in the manual I was stumped.

I had to drive a good 300 miles and the bad DEF light went out by itself. Not really sure why, but when I tried to get diagnostic codes it said there weren't any even though the check engine light was on also. I was going to have it cleared by a Hino dealer and then fight with the store where I bought the bad DEF, but since it went out on its own I haven't had a single problem with it and its now going on 4 months and a couple thousand miles.

Perhaps yours will sort itself out as well if you give it some time and miles? Either way glad you're up to full power again.

-Rob

Reactions: epoxyman

epoxyman

Seasoned Expediter
Yea thanks for the information
All my book says is when the DEF quality light comes on stop and drain the tank and refill with fresh DEF no talk about leaving the key on the run as it drains and refill.
Once again thanks so much for the help

Ron