Hi, am New Here. From North Carolina Area..

Frhwk2005

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Name is Chris, I am looking to start in Expediter Career and am looking to drive either the Sprinter Van or Straight Truck...Have CDL A learners will take final test Dec 5th 2007...I have clean MVA NC record but have 1 in Maryland which will come off on Feb 9th 2008...I have past exp-over the road in Semi back in 1993 to 1998, lost license due to DWI ( My Biggest Mistake) now am clean up and want to get back on the open-road....willing to work/drive/make money in this job...can stay out long, I like two Companys but feel it will be hard for me to get on due to No-Exp..( Panthers/Tri-State) but am looking at other Expediter Companys too....Looking for a Fleet Owner who's willing to teach me this new career of making good money and enjoy the traveling the open road.....Any one with idea's please respond for will soon start job hunting here after Dec 5th,......

Many Thanks, Hope hear from all soon.....
Sincerely

Mr.J.Chris Frey:)

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Honestly, I don’t thing the issue you are going to have is not a experience issue, it is going to be the d.u.i. that might, not for sure ,be the largest problem you have....contact a rep. from the companies you listed and tell them up front what the suspention was for, maybe they can tell you what the chances are, what ever you do, do not try to hide it...it will be found out..
After that, start looking in the classified section on here and start making calls...feel quit sure someone will have time to talk and let you know what your options are.....good luck

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I wasn't sure so I looked at one of the carriers qualifications and it stated you cannot have a dui within the past 5 years you will have to show employment history for the past 10yrs so from what you have said it looks like you are good to go. One thing to remember expediting is going thru a slow time right now and after the first it will get even slower, that isn't a real good time to start. At the moment this can be a brutal business especially for someone just coming into it, have enough funds to get thru the winter and possibly longer. Good luck

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quote:
Those who have been convicted of an offense OUTSIDE CANADA, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
ovm,you didnt mention how expensive that pardon is,how long it takes.Most of the companies willl take you once its over though

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
In other words , money talks . Funny how that works . You can be pardoned for a crime with a payoff . When 48 ft. trailers first came out they were not allowed in MA or CT unless permits were paid . Well if they were o.k. to run the roads after paying extra , what prevented them from being allowed in the first place ? MA and CT were also the last states to allow 53' trailers and raise the GVW to 80,000 . Northeast states also required a classified license (class 2 in MA) for vehicles over 18,000 lbs. GVWR until the standardization of the CDL changed it to 26,000 . The NY HUD sticker still is required for vehicles starting at 18,0000 lbs. GVW . This isn't well known and many drivers with weights between 18,000 and 26,000 learned of this the hard way .
And let's not forget annulment in Catholic churches . They don't allow divorce but hand over a few hundred dollars and the marriage never really existed . Amazing how money can make things right .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cost is about 50-75 Can. and takes at least a year.

Crazy...Yup money talks. Its the same way to get into the U.S. Your a security risk until you pay a fee to get a waiver of a criminal record.

OTR07Career

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to all, Dreamcreacher? My DWI was in 1998 in Maryland, since then I've moved to NC to start a clean life.....was thinking to start with van or striaght truck....yeah I knew that Canada is a strict county ant there even 1-DUI can take Operater permit from you there for life.......again please keep in touch with me I still want to do this and its my dream/goal to do with God on my side........

Jesus Loves you All, Have safe and Happy Holidays.......

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Forget the DUI thats hard enough in good times. Times are not good, in Trucking let alone Expediting.

I am not saying its impossible it is just not the best timming at the moment. You wanted an Honest answer? Supply and Demand, the Demand is not there so anyone telling you otherwise.

Read, educate yourself. Expediting is no exception to a slow down in Trucking, as a fact Expediting is getting hurt harder. Tonnage in Truck Load is down a large % more investigating needs to be done on your part. Good Luck.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Just don't go to Canada. Problem solved . I don't and do ok. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever let Canada have the satisfaction of taking my hard earned $ so that I could be pardoned and have the so called priviledge to enter their country . I FLAT OUT DON'T NEED THEM .. I'll stay in my own beautiful country where they except that I did something wrong and paid my dues 20 years ago. Yes , 20 years ago and Canada still wants to pardon me ( and take my $ of course ) .