Help!!

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2004 international 4400 with th DT466. My drivers left the dealer in dallas yesterday with the 4th air compressor since january fixed under warranty. All 3 other ones went bad and started putting oil out the air system to the tune of a gallon every 600 miles. The drivers called me to day and said the truck is still using a gallon every 600 miles, so we called the dealer and they said they checked everything and the compressor was definately the problem and all they could say is that the compressor they just put on must be bad as well. Now I have been trying to make sense of this, but the odds of 4 compressors being bad back to back to back has got to be way high and judging by my lottery track record I dont understand how this could be happening to me. Any ideas on what could be causing the compressors to go bad? When they diagnosed it this last time international corporate told the dealer to check the compressor intake tube for holes, so I told them dont bother just put a new one on and they did. Now they say even corporate says they dont now what could be wrong!!:mad:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When a certain part keeps going bad many times what is causing that part to go bad is being missed. Fixing the symptom not the problem type of thing.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about, but on another forum that deals with that engine it is stated that the compressor drains oil from the bottom of its case. Going out on a limb here, but if the oil drain was plugged wouldn't the compressor fill with oil, then possibly pumping the oil into the air system? If so, every compressor that was installed would have the same problem eventually.

I believe pic2 is showing the mounting bracket and drain line.

Viewing a thread - Any pics of a dt466 air compressor setup

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Im sure a plugged return line could cause it, It should be easy check to make sure its not plugged in hose or where it connects (drains )to the block..
Any signs that the compressers got hot at some point?
Are ya using reman compressers for replacement and if so are they all coming from the same rebuild shop?
I cant think off the top of my head anywhere else motor oil would be getting into the air system other then tru the compresser..
G/luck,,hope ya find answers soon

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
3 compressors were put on in georgia and just one in dallas, but nobody has mentioned anything about that drain so this is extremely helpful. I will have that checked at the next dealer.

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Another thought, how much oil is in the air tank? Enough to almost equal the gallon lost every 600 miles? If not, then where's it going?

The drain may not be fully plugged, might only be restricted some how causing the compressor to slowly overfill and pump out the higher level once it gets up to the pistons.

Last edited:

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
Every time they have done a compressor they have done a dryer under warranty as well. The tanks have a little in them but the dryers have been able to keep them pretty clean. When ever the truck is parked and idling it will leave a oil spot on the ground under the purge valve.