HELP???

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I am going to bid on a us postal route doing pickup and delivery with my d-unit. i have the bid package, but am convinced that i cannot meet the cargo department specs with my unit. if i got the bid i would not need my fl-io6 with this big sleeper anyway....does anyone know someone in that business who could help me or send me in the right direction, surely some company specs out boxes specifically to meet us postal specs...thanks and happy easter to all....frank:9

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I used to bid on mail routes,never got anynear close to the lowest bidder. If you follow their suggested costs and give yourself a decent salary you will usually wind up in the middle of the bidders.Good example is several years ago I bid ioon a route from jacksonville FL to Waycross GA,2 roundtrips for 5 days and 1 on saturdai.I figiured I could do one trip and I would hire someone to do the second trip. After working it all out my bid came to $135,000 per year.There were other bids ranging from $68,000 yp to $200,000 per year. What they do is to call in the 3 lowest bidders,look at their equipment and award the route to one of them.The guy who received the award bid $74,000 per year. There is no way he could make it at that amount,so what happens is when he goes broke or wants out,the route is then given to someone on a emergency award without competive bidding.
Sad to say I was told that there is some kickbacks on this type of emergency award,if you know what I mean.I had no proof of this but was told by existing postal contractors.
You can get the bid packages sent to you by calling one of the large regional sorting centers and telling them you want to be put on the list and give the geographical area you will respond to. Your cargo box will need to be slightly modified to have air vents installed on the front and rear doors,other then that it should be ok.
Also one other negative thing,the postal service was encouraging immigrants to purchase a truck and bid. Apparently the immigrants will work for less money then us,and the contracts are usually for a 5 year period. Good luck,I stopped bidding about 2 years ago as I was never even close to the final award,but I was not greedy just wanted to have a decent return.