help with sprinter DEF system

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
NEED SOME HELP
anybody with a sprinter 2010 or newer with def system . i have an on going problem that mabee someone else has had with the def not working .the def warning came on so i stopped and filled it but it only took 2 gallons . the warning went out and everthing seemed to be normal untill the 9 warning startes appeared . went to dealer they said that the system had froze and couldnt reset it . the engine light came on so they said it needed new nox sensore at $1000 . then another sensor at $1300 and then left dealer everthing seemed ok . one hours later engine light on again so i went back and they said def system not working at all , it is frozzen and needs a new def computer special order from germany to be made to my vans specs . i left and ya def system is not using any fluid for last 20,000 miles but after $3000 so far with there guessing at sensors how should i trust that they be right this time with new computer . anybody had this def frozzen problem with there sprinter that i can look at something different to repair the proper thing
thanks in advance

hanoki

Active Expediter
I am having a similar problem took it to the dealer was told it would cost me $2800.00 to repair. Not being able to take the time for the repair I have been adding to top off the DEF every fill up. Have engine light and def light. Plan to take to dealer for computer engine check to verify problem.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The def system on the med. and heavy duty trucks operating in northern Alaska, had freezing problems until the fluid lines and tanks were insulated. We were told not to close the master elect. switch until 15 min. after the engine was shutdown as the system would not pump the fluid from the lines and freeze.
There is one sprinter in the area, haven't had a chance to talk with the driver yet. Not info on a def sprinter, but cold weather operations in general.
Good luck and please post your findings.

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
I had that problem last year and replaced the tank for the level sensor at $2800 . Now they sell just the level sensor to tell when fluid is low

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I park it maybe I should get some schooling and open up "the Sprinter Shop."

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
Don't get me started on sprinters. My 08 has been a money pit the last 4 months. I love the van it's just expensive to fix.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Are you still building the Ultramax?

Yes, going to have it out end of 1st quarter. I'm waiting to fall off the cliff. :rolleyes:
I'm trying to decide if it's cost effective to have an Onan with shore power and a low profile A/C and heat system. Almost $9 grand for the way I want it. When you look at a 2,000 watt Honda it's hard to compare. Heard complaints about noise with both units even with insulation. We'll see.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yes, going to have it out end of 1st quarter. I'm waiting to fall off the cliff. :rolleyes:
I'm trying to decide if it's cost effective to have an Onan with shore power and a low profile A/C and heat system. Almost $9 grand for the way I want it. When you look at a 2,000 watt Honda it's hard to compare. Heard complaints about noise with both units even with insulation. We'll see.
I have the Onan and the rooftop. They are both pretty noisy imo....but not unbearable at all. One note. I had a 2 skid load on over a weekend and with those two skids on the floor, directly above the Onan, it was pretty quiet....so a lot of my noise is coming through the floor. That should be fixable. I mounted my rooftop towards the front of the cargo area. If I had to do over, I might mount as to the rear as possible. I think that would help with the noise from it. The fan blows pretty hard. 90% of my rooftop noise is fan and air movement through the ducts. I've heard comments about shaking, etc... but thats not true with mine. Just the fan and "wind" noise.

Not sure how you could get to $9k though? Maybe your getting a bigger unit than mine. I have the 2800 gas Onan and a 13k btu rooftop. I could get icicles if I wanted 'em.