Help with Sirius XM radio

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All: I was wondering if anyone has satelite radio and are having the same problems I am. Whenever I am in (or Close to) a city the regular FM stations overpower the satelite signal and I spend more time listening to local FM stations thatn the satelite radio. I called technical support and they said all I can do is try to find an unused FM station in the area. Is that normal for sattelite radio? I thought it was a better radio than that. I have refreshed the signal I don't know how many times but it doesn'thelp. Anyone having the same problems/ Thanks for ALL help. Jumbuck:confused:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
There is a separate wire you can buy that plugs into your vehicle radio antenna.. then to the audio input on your sirius radio...probably around $20-40..best buy has them...works great...good luck..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even better is if your radio has an auxiliary input. If not, the fm modulator works well. Also stay tuned on the lower frequencies like 88.1

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put your Sirius radio as close as possible to your dash radio. Remove your regular antenna from your vehicle. These two things will make a big difference.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Even better is if your radio has an auxiliary input. If not, the fm modulator works well. Also stay tuned on the lower frequencies like 88.1

With the auxiliary port mine squeals. I have mine set to the tuner also. If it gets overtaken by the local station I go down to 88.7-90.1 and have pretty good luck on those stations.

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Put your Sirius radio as close as possible to your dash radio. Remove your regular antenna from your vehicle. These two things will make a big difference.

Thanks for all replys. I will try them all. Now Xiggi, when you say remove radio attenna, do you mean just unplug it from vehicle radio, or do you mean COMPLETLEY remove it from the vehicle?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just unscrew the antenna from your vehicle body.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just unscrew the antenna from your vehicle body.

I just unplugged mine from the back of the radio when I had it pulled out to install the receiver.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just unplugged mine from the back of the radio when I had it pulled out to install the receiver.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

We might be talking a little different setup. I'm am refering to using the small outboard Sirius receiver. I never touched the in dash radio for any type of install so was never behind it. Not the best setup but the simplest that works pretty well. Direct input into the dash radio would of course be better and even better yet an in dash with satilite built in.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The fm adapter I linked to is for the external receiver also. It's cheap and works great. You still have full fm signal for local stations and very little interference when listening to sirius/xm. I do like the antennae removal trick though. Its a cheap/quick solution...especially if you don't own the vehicle.