Help Me Think This Through

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As we prepare to begin as team drivers, we're looking at companies to drive for. The current EO news page profiles Con-Way NOW. We’ve talked to drivers who are happy with Con-Way and I don’t mean to take anything away from them at all. But In an industry where seemingly everyone tells you to be wary of what you hear, please help me think this one through.

The article says:

“Con-Way NOW utilizes a 100% independent contractor fleet consisting of cargo vans, straight trucks and tractor-trailers. Fleet size ranges between 300-400 units, depending on time of year and freight needs.”

Is it safe to conclude from this that at one time there may be 400 units and 300 at other times? If so, what is the fate of the 100 independent contractors that make up the difference?

The article says,

“Lori Blaney, Manager of Recruiting for Con-Way NOW adds, ‘The key to success for our owner operators is for them to be in service and ready to run all loads. If they are ready to run - we will run them!’"

But what of the 100? If it is safe to presume they were ready to run, where did they go? If you have 400 units ready to run, and if "...we will run them," why does 400 change to 300 "...depending on time of year and freight needs?"

The article quotes Blaney saying, “We do not overstaff - we bring on owner operators to meet our current business levels."

That works if you are moving from 300 to 400. But if fleet size is adjusted from 400 to 300, “…depending on time of year and freight needs,” is not 400 an overstaffed condition?

Perhaps I’m wrong and Con-Way has never reduced its fleet size. If so, I’ll quickly admit it and abandon this line of questioning. Can anyone tell me, has Con-Way only increased its number of units? Or has Con-Way also shrunk it’s number of units at times?

I don’t begrudge for an instant the right Con-Way NOW has to expand and shrink its fleet. That is simply good business. It enhances profits. It gives the company the ability to talk about how all its CURRENT contractors are always busy.

But I keep wondering, what about the 100?

Having heard from drivers who are very pleased to drive for Con-Way, I’d be willing to drive for Con-Way myself. But before I do, I’d also like to know how to competitively position myself against all other Con-Way drivers so I can be one of the busy 300 and not one of the in-and-out 100.

In other words, what do the 300 Con-Way drivers do that enables them to stay on board and stay busy all the time? Put in another way, what do the 100 Con-Way drivers do or fail to do that results in their departure?

Tips? Suggestions? Comments?

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As we prepare to begin as team drivers, we're looking at companies to drive for. The current EO news page profiles Con-Way NOW. We’ve talked to drivers who are happy with Con-Way and I don’t mean to take anything away from them at all. But In an industry where seemingly everyone tells you to be wary of what you hear, please help me think this one through.

The article says:

“Con-Way NOW utilizes a 100% independent contractor fleet consisting of cargo vans, straight trucks and tractor-trailers. Fleet size ranges between 300-400 units, depending on time of year and freight needs.”

Is it safe to conclude from this that at one time there may be 400 units and 300 at other times? If so, what is the fate of the 100 independent contractors that make up the difference? -Tony- That is meant to mean that CWN only uses O/O and don’t have any of their own company drivers. The # come about with some quitting or moving on to other things, and depending on the time, they may not replace them right away.

The article says,

“Lori Blaney, Manager of Recruiting for Con-Way NOW adds, ‘The key to success for our owner operators is for them to be in service and ready to run all loads. If they are ready to run - we will run them!’"

But what of the 100? If it is safe to presume they were ready to run, where did they go? If you have 400 units ready to run, and if "...we will run them," why does 400 change to 300 "...depending on time of year and freight needs?"-Tony- Don’t worry about things like this. Some drivers only want to work part time and will quit. Others may only want to run to the south and in that case dispatch will not give them anything and they will quit. Others WELL! Let me say this. YOU CAN’T PLEASE ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME!!! If you are wanting to hire on to be a site seeker then you don't want CWN. Some people will hire on and when they get a load to a nice place, will take themselves out of service and go site seeing for 2 - 3 -4 days and now dispatch is screwed!!!

The article quotes Blaney saying, “We do not overstaff - we bring on owner operators to meet our current business levels."

That works if you are moving from 300 to 400. But if fleet size is adjusted from 400 to 300, “…depending on time of year and freight needs,” is not 400 an overstaffed condition?-Tony- no it isn’t

Perhaps I’m wrong and Con-Way has never reduced its fleet size. If so, I’ll quickly admit it and abandon this line of questioning. Can anyone tell me, has Con-Way only increased its number of units? Or has Con-Way also shrunk it’s number of units at times?-Tony- No company has just only increased in number and never decreased.

I don’t begrudge for an instant the right Con-Way NOW has to expand and shrink its fleet. That is simply good business. It enhances profits. It gives the company the ability to talk about how all its CURRENT contractors are always busy.-Tony- Then why question it? Don’t answer!!!

But I keep wondering, what about the 100?-Tony- That may be because you don’t trust in YOU!!!! What I mean is if you sign on with someone and you do the right thing then you don’t have anything to worry about.

Having heard from drivers who are very pleased to drive for Con-Way, I’d be willing to drive for Con-Way myself. But before I do, I’d also like to know how to competitively position myself against all other Con-Way drivers so I can be one of the busy 300 and not one of the in-and-out 100.-Tony- The above answer to this said it all.

In other words, what do the 300 Con-Way drivers do that enables them to stay on board and stay busy all the time? Put in another way, what do the 100 Con-Way drivers do or fail to do that results in their departure? BEFRIEND the company!!!

Tips? Suggestions? Comments?-Tony- BELIVE IN YOURSELF!!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
ATeam,

Well, allot happens to those 100 trucks. Some wreck their trucks and make them inoperable. Remember that lease contract is tied to that unit - not the individual. So when the truck is destroyed...so is the contract. Some trucks reach their "operating age", in other words - most carriers have time limits based on model year.

Other units shut down during the winter months, they go to Florida and live the good life. When Spring rolls around many come back in service. Some decide this type of career isn't for them, so they quit. Still some are forced to quit because of financial issues related to their business. So in a nutshell that is what happens to the 100 trucks.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
Everybody is someone else's weirdo.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/weekly/Bean.gif
-----------------------------------------

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
If business is slow and the fleet size starts diminishing in ways Lawrence stated, they do not replenish the lost trucks until business levels call for it. At one point, they were turning down 50-75 loads a day because they didnt have the trucks to cover them. They do not over hire like certain expediting companies. Now if they get into a rut where they are constantly under size, then they will put more trucks on.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't think 25% of the fleet is being wrecked up, but is being lost for various reasons. Some of these can be:

1. Dis-Satisfaction- owner leased elsewhere
2. Owner quit altogether for personal/financial reasons
3. Owner went bankrupt
4. Owner operates seasonally
5. Fleet owners pulled units from company
6. Owner units are down for maintenance or repairs (or are wrecked)
7. Company released owners or drivers for poor performance

-Weave-

ole driver

Expert Expediter
about the 100
on any giver day 1/3 of a fleet is out of servoce for what ever reason 1/3 on a run of 2 or more days that leaves the remainder ready to run hope this helps

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thanks.

I started this thread back in April, early in our research of expedited driving. I've since talked a length with Con-Way NOW drivers, a fleet owner, and a recruiter. My wife and I have reviewed their contract. We've read as much about the company as we can find. I believe it's fair to say that Con-Way NOW is as good of an expediting company as you'll find anywhere. One man's opinion.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
With as much research as you've done ATEAM, I'm sure you are making a good decision going with them. I was hoping that you werent brainwashed like brandy and thinking another company was, as he put it, "the best company out there". Good luck!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I did not say we (wife and me) were going with Con-Way NOW. I said we've come to belive that Con-Way NOW is a fine company. We've got things lined up more or less with a fleet owner and carrier. But in business, you don't got it 'til you got it. I'm reluctant to talk about our carrier choice until we're actually in a truck and on the road.

RobZip

Expert Expediter
>I'm reluctant to talk about our carrier choice
>until we're actually in a truck and on the road.

Seems to me that until you actually do make the choice and become active, there isn't much for you to talk about anyway.