Help finding a good expedite Co. to work for

mikem124

Expert Expediter
I have been thinking about getting into the Expedite O/O business for awhile now. I wish to purchase a Sprinter van and start driving. I am having no problems having companys offer me jobs except for one.

I was pulled over in 12/01 I refused a breathalyzer test, I lost my license for 2 months. I was convicted of a reckless operation. However this is the only problem on my driving record for at least the last 7 years.

I am from Fort Wayne IN. Any help someone could offer on getting a good job I would appreciate it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
ouch... refusal of a breathalyzer is as good as a positive on one. I don't think you'll find any luck, though I wish you some.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Won't that "blemish" go away on 12/01/04? I thought you get a clean slate after 3 years. Just wondering....

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Mike, I don't know how much you have looked into a sprinter, but if you haven't looked much yet you may want to talk to some sprinter owners first. Owners who have had them at least a year. I have talked to a few and the ones that recently got them seem to love them. The ones that have had them a while talk about all the problems they have with them such as egr valve going out alot, engines only lasting 150,000 to 180,000. And also finding someone to service them and to mention always waiting on parts.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Miekm124,
I think Tennesseahawk has it right. Refusal is considered to be (in most cases) a positive. If you are looking to get into the expedite industry in a cargo van, you would probably want to approach the smaller companies that do not require a cdl and that don't run dac.

Good Luck,

ABC

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You could try air freight. Running local with them, I doubt they care if you have a cdl or not.

It's not the idea that his slate is clean in Dec 2004. They ask a question on the app : Have you ever had your license revoked or suspended. He lost his for two months. With his reason why, I doubt he'd get a shot with a bigger expediting company as their insurance just wouldn't allow for it.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
After further review.......the play will NOT stand as called. I thought about this and went to our compliance department to investigate. Sorry for the bad call, but a refusal is the same as positive and after three years, you should be ok. I read it wrong and thought of refusal for drug test, which is a big no no. Start
approaching this again in December, and as long as the conviction date is older than 3 years, you should be ok.

Good Luck, and sorry for the bad info at first,

ABC

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Choose the company you lease on with care,ask them if you have to get a CDRP card or FAST if so you will need to pass the Canada background check which goes back alot more then seven years.If you can't get the CDRP card or FAST the carrier my term you or cut your rate per mile,check with them before you go to orientation and have them fax you something in writing that you'll have be for you leave.

mikem124

Expert Expediter
I realize doing your homework when deciding to work for an expediter is crucial. Just wondering if you can be specific on a few Companys that do really keep their drivers loaded and not just driving spot to spot