Hello!

imatworkallday

New Recruit
Researching
Hello with questions! Sorry, I am a little long winded but here we go!

Currently living in FL on the Atlantic Coast and in aviation. Aviation, she is a cruel mistress. While not official, all signs are pointing towards more layoffs. With all that said I am seriously considering getting back into driving. I drove for one of the mega carriers from 11 to 13 and then gas tanker from 13 to mid 15. I determined that I didn’t like that. After thinking long and hard about why, well... there were a number of factors. One being, no matter how civil and easy the divorce was, don’t work for the ex (this was the plan just not divorced). The other, I was tired of making money for someone else. I had gotten into aviation after the gas delivery and thought it was going to be ok... until Rona came over and dorked up my plans. Now with potential layoffs looming, a very remote chance of increase in demand anytime soon, and the need to take care of the family I am seriously considering getting back into driving. I like the idea of being able to determine my own schedule, owning my own business (which I know will struggle for the first few months minimum), and not being stuck in an office making PowerPoint after PowerPoint (I am seriously having nightmares about this crap in my sleep!)

Buuuuuuut... I want to avoid the maga carriers, combination vehicles, forced dispatch, etc. I want to have more freedom in my schedule, what I haul, and where. I initially entertained the idea of flatbed hotshot but I was quickly turned off from that (lack of sleeping accommodations, no flatbed experience). I have looked at the straight trucks that are built on the Cascadia and the M2. I drove a Cascadia at the mega and quickly regretted “upgrading” to an International. Loved that truck. I also like the M2. Never drove one but based on the details that I have seen on it, It’s not a bad piece of equipment.

My questions are:
What expenses am I not considering? Already thinking about fuel, insurance, plates and permits, truck payments, tolls, maintenance reserves.
How is the market for solo straight truck loads?
Who is responsible for load and unload? I got spoiled driving team at the mega... no unload! Gas hauling was a different story.
Are NE runs as much of a PITA as the were with a 53’ trailer?
Have automatics improved over the years? I prefer manual over auto but if auto is the only way to go, so be it!
Are there any other considerations that I am missing altogether?

Thanks! I’m sure I will have more questions that I can bombard you all with later!

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I hate to burst your bubble but I think if you stuck with the big boys I think you would be better off. Just think more freight opportunities and better rates plus you don’t have to spend alot of hours getting bugged eyed staring at that computer screen all day for a measly few dollars and come to find out the liad cancels and you make zero pennies for that load.

imatworkallday

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks! I have only started researching landstar, I will look into load 1 as well.

Can a driver drive with both or are they one or the other?

danvictoria

New Recruit
Driver
Anyone here ever hear of empire national inc? I'm thinking of starting up with them. My recruiter told me if I go over the road I can expect to average 2500mi week at approximately average of .87/mile. Is this realistic nowadays or no? I'm looking to buy a ford transit 150 which is ok for to drive for them mainly the cargo space. I'm very new to this and looking for any and all advice. Thank you

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
A transit 150 might be to light.
You +your gear+full tank take that van to a scale at a truck stop and weight it subtract that weight from the driver side door sticker....thats the weight your van can legally carry.

Reactions: Turtle

BigBadBen

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's one of my problems with the 150. Yes it may be fine for the company you're looking into. But if you leave that company for any reason are you going to be able to sign on and get the same size loads as someone driving a 250 high and long?
If you buy a 250 you have options