heeavy lifting

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
in expediting is theer much heavy lifting? i consider any thing over 30 pounds heavy lifting. how often do i hae to load or unload?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the case of a dock high C or D unit, there is very little if any freight lifting involved, most freight is loaded and unloaded by the locations. But at times it does help to have some strength to horse stuff around. I have a pallet jack on my truck and use it a lot, and I can vouch that it is very advantageous to be in decent shape and have some upper body strength when expediting with a C, D or E unit. Not a necessity, but you will help yourself on many occasions being able to move at least 50-60 lbs or so when owning a truck. If health and strength are a major issue, you will be better off running in a van.
-Weave-

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
WE do some heavy lifting if you count any over 30 pounds. One of our first loads was for dollar general shelving units they had hired a crew to help unload but they were taking forever so we helped. Some of the Phizer loads you have to sort the boxes which can weigh a bit. Sometimes you dont have a dock to unload from so a forklift cant get into your truck and for some reason some feel forklifts aren't meant to pull pallets with a strap. If you have a pallet jack sometimes the freight can be heavy,it's not lifting but it sure is hard sometimes.If you have to pick up one of the heaters reguired for some loads those bad boys are very heavy.Some companies will not load or unload you but you tell them it will cost them xtra if you have to do it and sometimes they will change their policy on the spot. Just call your dispatcher ask them what you should do. If they say to unload it tell them to send out the new pay, then you unload it.