Headlamps for a 2004 Freightliner

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi people!!!!

Got a question for all the truck savy people out here.
I am driving in a 2004 Freightliner Business Class straight truck.
It has the most dismal headlights, low beams are a laugh if I am lucky they light up 5 feet in front of me... high beams are a tad
better. Who carries headlights, and installs them for unmechanical
drivers? we are in lower Ohio until Sunday the 4th of June then
delivering in the Atlanta area on Monday. I want the kind of lights that stream onto the highway on low beam, lighting up the area all in front of me the ones currently installed are halogens but you sure could have fooled me.
Thanks again, and remember to thank yourself because if you bought it,a truck brought it!!!!

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
The problem is most likely to be a case of mis-adjustment. The Co. I drove for last year had M-2 Biz Class units that had less than stellar headlights. Here's how I fixed it.

Find a wall that you can park the truck about 25' away from (on a level surface) and then adjust the "hot spots" of the lights on the wall to be about 6" below the center height of the headlight lenses, then adjust each beam so the "hot spot" is straight ahead from the truck. When you are done the approximate center of the "hot spots" will be the same as the distance between the headlight lens centers.

The adjuster screws are under the rubber flap inside the hood behind the headlights. Cover one light while adjusting the other. A quarter fits in the slot on the head of the adjuster screw knob and gives you better leverage for turning the screws.

It's a quick and dirty method, but it will definitely give you better lighting.

Rex

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
But you cannot adjust left to right with the screw, only up and down.
The screw is there but no nut for it. Kind of like screwing yourself;)

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
> But you cannot adjust left to right with the screw, only up
>and down.
>The screw is there but no nut for it. Kind of like screwing
>yourself;)

There WAS a nut on the adjuster screw at some point in time. Sounds like a trip to the parts counter is in order.

I see a lot of M2 and Century rigs (using the same headlight assemblies) on the road and I'll bet less than 20% of them have the headlights properly adjusted. Doesn't say much about the thoroughness of the Pre Delivery Inspection done by many of the dealerships.

Rex

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Okay..... so it probably is a case of unaligned lights... Im still very unmechanical when it comes to trucks.... does speedco align them? Will be getting the oil changed tomorrow, would be nice to get it all done at the same place, saving time, ( I think I have probably jinxed myself now), and if they are past being aligned properly what kind is a fantastic light up the whole road brand to purchase? Thanks

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
In the Maint. manual it says that the L/R adjustment is not to be done in the field. If you look at the two adjustment screws on the light housing you will see a dif. I went thru several M2's at stoops all the same, even took the mechanics out and they just scratched there heads.