HAZMAT Endorsement

jackieg

Active Expediter
Still on track! Worried about the Hazmat endorsement needed for FedEx... well, didn't NEED to! It was Much easier than I anticipated! I put it off not wanting to stress about it~wish I had taken care of it earlier!!! One hitch, I didn't realize it takes about 4 months for the certification to be issued!!! So many 'little' things that pop up..! Cant Wait for this journey to Actually BEGIN! :rolleyes:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Still on track! Worried about the Hazmat endorsement needed for FedEx... well, didn't NEED to! It was Much easier than I anticipated!:rolleyes:

Good job! In many cases, facing the thing you fear is enough to make the fear go away.

On the other hand, it is wise to be aware and always prepared, because sometimes the thing you fear can destroy you.

For new people coming into expediting with no previous experience, I know of no better way to not only gain a basic understanding of the business, but to also gain perspective about what parts are more important and more urgent than others, than to read, read, read Open Forum posts, and then read some more.

Write down the words and concepts that are unfamiliar to you and then read some more. Many of them will fall into place as you keep reading.

When Diane and I entered the business with no previous experience, we read two full years of previous Open Forum posts. When we talked to recruiters and prospective fleet owners, they all were impressed with our level of industry knowledge. And because we had it, we could converse with them at a higher level and thereby benefit all the more. Our knowledge also made us more desirable as recruits. A fleet owner would much rather put a team in the truck who knows something about expediting than a team that does not have a clue.

There is much to learn by reading Open Forum posts, and it's all here, free of charge, for anyone wishing to make use of this great resource.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Did you also get the tanker endorsement for carrying bulk hazmat totes?

When I added it, I was thinking it was going to be hard, but the study guide was three pages, and the easiest test I have taken.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
Did you also get the tanker endorsement for carrying bulk hazmat totes?

When I added it, I was thinking it was going to be hard, but the study guide was three pages, and the easiest test I have taken.

The only thing I find scary about Hazmat is the $80 I have to fork out if I pass the exam.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Had to re new mine last week. Studied using online practice tests. Passed test. Waiting 6-8 weeks for background check to be completed.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We have to renew drivers license with hazmat.
Started in March with test/ fingerprints.
After background check we go get license. They now want me to go to BMV, get license, and they may mail it to me, taking up to ten more days !

The moral is Start Early.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you want to haul tote tanks, dewars etc. you need a tanker endorsement if the tanks are larger that 119 gallon capacity and the total of the tanks exceeds 1000 gallon capacity. This is empty, partially full or completely full.

A tank vehicle is one designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material in tanks that are either permanently or temporarily attached to the chassis and are rated at more than 119 gallons and aggregated to 1,000 gallons or more.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Still on track! Worried about the Hazmat endorsement needed for FedEx... well, didn't NEED to! It was Much easier than I anticipated! I put it off not wanting to stress about it~wish I had taken care of it earlier!!! One hitch, I didn't realize it takes about 4 months for the certification to be issued!!! So many 'little' things that pop up..! Cant Wait for this journey to Actually BEGIN! :rolleyes:
ve
HazMat and Tanker is nothing to get no big deal. Unless the State Police or who ever takes your Fingerprints goofs up like they did mine on renewal. What should have taken two weeks toke five months and the prints were electronic. I had to go have them done a second time. Good advice when you renew go right away don't drag your feet.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Or if no matter how many times they fingerprint you, they cant read them.