Have You Undergone an IRP Audit? What Was it Like?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In the September Locations thread, highway star said, "I'm at the house, and what a lucky guy am I? I've been selected for an IRP audit!! Nice folks to work with, they gave me an extension so I'd have more than 2 days to get the records to them."

That got me to thinking about other people's experiences with IRP audits. They seem to vary state by state.

Diane and I have been through two. The first one required some homework and log book research to complete. After that, I developed a database that produces the required information when start and end dates are entered and the mouse is clicked. The second audit was easily and quickly completed. The audits were done by mail and amounted to completing a forum to return.

The IRP auditor wanted to know how many miles we had driven in each state over a selected time period. We track that by writing down the odometer reading each time we cross a state or provincial boundary. That information is later entered into a database which will provide information for audits as requested.

For those of you who have been through such audits, how has it worked for you? What information is requested and what did you do to provide it?

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'm lucky !,
no, not only because my tag is yet to be pulled out, but because my current carrier have operating authority in the same Minnesota state my rigs are registered. that makes life much easier.
amusingly as it is, the IRP auditor in such case will allow "fleet average" as a valid source.
bureaucracy @ it's very best !
they will then take my annually report as a prof of accuracy for validating the annual report.
go figure .

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We're going through one now. We live in Michigan, like HS.

Got our first notice for the first random (cough*BS*cough) audit that encompassed the whole first 10 days that our first truck was registered in the state. When I explained that, they told me to disregard, and they would catch me next year.

For the record, Qualcomm mileage summaries (which I would think would be the most accurate mileage tracking) that we used to renew our registration, do not suffice for audit compliance. My darling wife spent all of last weekend scanning in a year's worth of logbooks and bills of lading to send to these kind folks.

Will advise on the outcome once complete.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have monthly envelops for my trip reports and keep the tally for mileage by state on the front of that envelop. I sent the 2 years of records they needed to see, along with the questionaire they send about how you go about keeping your records. I was prepared well enough that I could have met their deadline using express mail, but they were nice about giving me more time. I'll let you know how it turns out, I don't expect a problem. I just hope they don't tell me they need something else after I go back out next week!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For the record, Qualcomm mileage summaries (which I would think would be the most accurate mileage tracking) that we used to renew our registration, do not suffice for audit compliance. My darling wife spent all of last weekend scanning in a year's worth of logbooks and bills of lading to send to these kind folks.

I use a voice recorder for odometer readings when I cross state lines. It's also handy when you have inspiring, profound epifinies. (O.K., I didn't spell it right, but you know what I mean.)

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
While I've never had an audit, I've had 2 run ins w/ the IRS.

The first one was back in 95 I think it was. I worked for Try Hours at the time. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the idea is right. Basically the IRS said I made $18,000 working for Ford & that I owed them $5,000 in taxes.

I told them that I never worked for Ford a day in my life. I'd delivered to Ford many times, but had never received a paycheck from Ford for any work I'd done.

This went back & forth for a bit. I'm thinking a few months. I'm wondering if maybe John Mueller talked to them or something. He was w/ Try Hours at the time. If he sees this thread, I'm curious if he recalls any other drivers had the same issue.

The other was in 2004 I think. It was the one year where I went directly to the IRS building to do my taxes. I did my taxes right there & turned them in. I owed like $271 in taxes. So I cut out a check for $271 & figured I was all set.

A few years later they called me & said I didn't file. I said that yea I did. I asked how much I owed for that year. The lady said $271. I asked how much I paid them. She said $271. I asked her if I paid the exact amount I owed, wouldn't it stand to reason that I filed?

She said it didn't matter. They didn't have a record of it & I was going to get fined for not filing. The fine was like $150 or something along those lines.

I made a mistake in not making a copy of my taxes. I only had a copy of my check.