Have rates really dropped all that much?

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
All I would like to see is all of us wise up and not let the company's step on us or walk over us anymore. And we can change things very quickly. And I don't give a crap what xpo and bolt and all the big boys say or care anymore because they mean nothing to me anymore just as we never met anything to them. Don't forget they can not have anything with out all of us but somewhere along the line everyone forgot that it's about time we start reminding them start letting there freight sit till becomes a equal playing field for all what the difference they are starving us out anyways so why not reverse the roles on them for a change o and let me not forget panther because they are one of the biggest company's pushing the rules and how they want people to follow what they dictate and hard to believe they never got it threw there head they are one of the most hated company's out there

Reactions: JUL

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just an alert for Canadians, if you went for the 5% discount for winter tires and anything happens before April 1, if that snow symbol is not on your tire, no insurance!

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It's the same in USA.

If you use your personal vehicle for business, insurance won't cover it unless it is insured for business.....

Ain't America great again!
Careful, that "Lefty Liberal" is peeking out from behind that red tie

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
Well I'm done I just wanted people to start noticing and caring about what's going on around them and hope fully start banding together and sticking together and help get it changed into a profit business for owner operates and small company's again instead of just the big players in the industry. It can be changed. And if you think about it wouldn't take long either think about it mostly hot freight we deal with so if it doesn't get moved for awhile because we refuse to move at these cheap rates anymore something will have to give and we pull into places and find out its doubled or tripled brokered just walk away from it but tell shipper why. And get most of us to do it we can get are rates back to us. But I know enough won't stick together to do that. And its a shame because the costs are going up for us to operate and the pay is getting cheaper. And hopefully the ones that are running cheap go broke soon. And sorry to say that because they can't really keep going if they have anything else in life besides a van or what ever else they use

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To my knowledge I have never seen a uship person picking up a load at any dock I've been to. Never thought about it affecting our insurance rates I suppose that's possible but imho uship has no affect on available loads for us.
I've tried Uship...its hard work to line up anything that would pay enough....you have to line up multiple shipments and coordinate when people will be home to pick up and deliver......

I have 9 right now on board, yes try having all those people texting your phone at once but its only logistics gotta embrace the madness, coordinate and keep the wheels spinning. The Austin Tx based company does nothing to help the carriers, its simply a lyft or uber type company aka don't come knocking. Still wondering why there is no competition. Any web designers investors around? These Austinites are living like Detroiters in their hay day until the competition arrives.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...eo-of-austins-uship-steps-down-to-pursue.html

All it will take is someone less greedy and more revolutionary to embrace change in shipping and it could be a myspace to facebook transformation! :cool:

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I'm done I just wanted people to start noticing and caring about what's going on around them and hope fully start banding together and sticking together and help get it changed into a profit business for owner operates and small company's again instead of just the big players in the industry. It can be changed. And if you think about it wouldn't take long either think about it mostly hot freight we deal with so if it doesn't get moved for awhile because we refuse to move at these cheap rates anymore something will have to give and we pull into places and find out its doubled or tripled brokered just walk away from it but tell shipper why. And get most of us to do it we can get are rates back to us. But I know enough won't stick together to do that. And its a shame because the costs are going up for us to operate and the pay is getting cheaper. And hopefully the ones that are running cheap go broke soon. And sorry to say that because they can't really keep going if they have anything else in life besides a van or what ever else they use

If you have good work ethic hope and knowledge and the ability to stay open minded and learn from the one's that have been in the game since the beginning you can still have a chance.

J.D Smith

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
US Army
How very true you are at saying that be determined and don't give up the rough patches are in everything we do its how we get threw them all. And in this just in how we ride it out till it picks up and try and do the right thing and in the right way. At the end those who just live by screwing others because of greed have to face are maker at the end. And those of us who try to do the right moral thing and get burned doing it can face are maker with out fear at the end. It's a shame tho because at onetime expediting you was able to make a good living at it and support a family. Then when at first when the bid board came out still was until to many company's started twisting it around for double brokering and the same load goes threw 3 to 5 company's before it hits the power unit that is truly messed up. And no matter how they all try and justify it it's still elegal. And no matter how they do a rate confirmation and put it right back up on the bid board after they get the load it's elegal. And the board can clean it up and stop it if they truly wanted to but the big company's are the biggest ones guilty of it and are dictating what they want and are getting away with it on are exspences
So till we ALL STAND UP AGAINST IT. Things will never change because it's going to take all not a few

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To my knowledge I have never seen a uship person picking up a load at any dock I've been to. Never thought about it affecting our insurance rates I suppose that's possible but imho uship has no affect on available loads for us.
I've tried Uship...its hard work to line up anything that would pay enough....you have to line up multiple shipments and coordinate when people will be home to pick up and deliver......

I have 9 right now on board, yes try having all those people texting your phone at once but its only logistics gotta embrace the madness, coordinate and keep the wheels spinning. The Austin Tx based company does nothing to help the carriers, its simply a lyft or uber type company aka don't come knocking. Still wondering why there is no competition. Any web designers investors around? These Austinites are living like Detroiters in their hay day until the competition arrives.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...eo-of-austins-uship-steps-down-to-pursue.html

All it will take is someone less greedy and more revolutionary to embrace change in shipping and it could be a myspace to facebook transformation! :cool:
Dude that sounds like work. Your sprinter isn't paid for :D? I'd rather wait 2 weeks for 1 good run than deal with that many civilians

Good on you to embrace the new tech, but I saw not one shipment I'd be willing to take on uShip it takes 9 to equal a proper rate...course I'm cross border so that adds lots of complications

Reactions: ntimevan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Dude that sounds like work. Your sprinter isn't paid for :D? I'd rather wait 2 weeks for 1 good run than deal with that many civilians

Good on you to embrace the new tech, but I saw not one shipment I'd be willing to take on uShip it takes 9 to equal a proper rate...course I'm cross border so that adds lots of complications

Nothing ever came easy in this industry gotta grind including the 900 -220 deadhead miles this week, gotta get those ratings up and build reviews and clients start to trust your services. Takes a good communication ability. Don't try doing it on the east coast running from NY to Miami, those guys are sharks. They seem to stick to east coast only. 4 of those were from one shipper actually a repeat so its straight from shipper to carrier no middle men and of course they still want cheap labor for high end antiques. I shipped a $2k piece the other day 220 miles for $160 delivered to a million dollar home direct service from Dallas with no tip that was no fun. I said to myself this is "too cheap" but the seller may have more customers in future so it is what it is.

Still looking for a carrier, the current one can't even get me from Chicago to Dallas for $550 bid refused. :( but from LA to Denver I get a buck a mile with same carrier. Maybe my niche is being a western expeditor if that exist. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well that makes sense, seeing how I'm on the east coast :D

Money in antiques, all around. Probably more than when I carried military parts

I don't really know where the industry is going, as for vans...I do know most of my runs are unique and not repeats, next is plastic beakers to Maine lol

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All I would like to see is all of us wise up and not let the company's step on us or walk over us anymore. And we can change things very quickly. And I don't give a crap what xpo and bolt and all the big boys say or care anymore because they mean nothing to me anymore just as we never met anything to them. Don't forget they can not have anything with out all of us but somewhere along the line everyone forgot that it's about time we start reminding them start letting there freight sit till becomes a equal playing field for all what the difference they are starving us out anyways so why not reverse the roles on them for a change o and let me not forget panther because they are one of the biggest company's pushing the rules and how they want people to follow what they dictate and hard to believe they never got it threw there head they are one of the most hated company's out there

We definitely need more people speaking their minds on here you seem to be one of them. Some only speak out for whats best for their wallet. There doesn't really seem to be a perfect carrier out there. Gotta keep searching. Spent 3.5 years at Panther, started out at .97-$1 per mile, wouldn't think about going back unless rate returned and they got rid of the bottom of the board mentality. They are a low roof van kinda expeditor and some of their trucks look like junk and they think they're premium. ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well that makes sense, seeing how I'm on the east coast :D

Money in antiques, all around. Probably more than when I carried military parts

I don't really know where the industry is going, as for vans...I do know most of my runs are unique and not repeats, next is plastic beakers to Maine lol

Post got deleted, glad you saw it... wonder who took it down?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Post got deleted, glad you saw it... wonder who took it down?
Ok I'll bite...what post, they're still here for me

All of the new guys posts are still there...i agree with him but us drivers band together? Not likely. And nobody would take notice until we did and they were stuck with freight they agreed to deliver (but couldn't)

I pick and choose what and when I want because I didn't go and finance into this "business". All companies are bidding on loads they don't plan on delivering themselves right now. From a personal perpective pick what works for you and ignore the rest. Too many drivers with their own ideas out there to "organize". By the time we had an organized group with some negotiating power, some goverment official will have been lobbied into legalizing the robot trucks en masse and we get to compete with units that don't take a salary, or breaks.

Get while the gettings good!

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

We definitely need more people speaking their minds on here you seem to be one of them. Some only speak out for whats best for their wallet. There doesn't really seem to be a perfect carrier out there. Gotta keep searching. Spent 3.5 years at Panther, started out at .97-$1 per mile, wouldn't think about going back unless rate returned and they got rid of the bottom of the board mentality. They are a low roof van kinda expeditor and some of their trucks look like junk and they think they're premium. ;)
Ive spoken out many a times....over the years of all this double and triple brokering only to lose some of what I thought were friends...no body either cares no one is watching the hen house....as carriers and brokers run amok...it falls on deaf ears...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Ive spoken out many a times....over the years of all this double and triple brokering only to lose some of what I thought were friends...no body either cares no one is watching the hen house....as carriers and brokers run amok...it falls on deaf ears...
I have been following another expediters Facebook site and the number of newbies is amazing, buying trucks, jumping in and saying what now? But what I have noticed is their age - twentysomethings!! They are going from low paying jobs thinking this is the solution, Easy Money! They start with a big carrier, then do the multi carrier, then realize they can't support their truck so they start to get desperate, carrier smells blood and runs them around cheap until they go broke.

Ken you have said a million times, if you can't afford to be in this business you will fail but each one that fails takes down a notch with them

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch