Half hour break work arounds

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
With all the threads about the half hr break and the new "34hr" reset I haven't read much about HOW people plan to find that grey area work around. Not wanting to derail one of the other threads I figured I would just start one that could cover what people are thinking might work.

Those on paper logs will have it the easiest imho. They can just use "log management" as they have right along. Just back that line up to account for room to show the break they never really took.

Now it doesn't seem that easy for those that are using E-Logs, especially the single drivers on E-Logs. Teams on the other hand have a little more room to wiggle, not much, but some. I don't want to steer the initial responses so I'll not mention my thoughts just yet. I would like to see what thoughts are out there other than my own first.

And because I can in my own thread, I'm going to go off topic a little. (I'll reprimand myself later ;p)

Conspiracy theory: Van drivers could be one of the largest groups lobbying for all these new HOS regs. It is reasonable to think they may have the MOST to gain from that team that just can't figure out how to fit in that half hour break and therefor can't make the delivery on time.

Thoughts?? Comments??

moose

Veteran Expediter
by the time they gain any, eleven million criminals will become citizens and take the freight from under the van...
same goe's to truckers BTW...

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
I'm in a van so I don't have a dog in this fight but it seems to me that if the hours are reduced from 82 to 70 per week that it would take 17% more trucks on the road to maintain the status quo (82 - 70 = 12 and 12 / 70 = 17%). Is this good math?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The majority of truck drivers won't even write congress against it. Don't think us van drivers are going to take the time to write for it lol.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

moose

Veteran Expediter
HOW people plan to find that grey area work around.
same as they always did. by moving items from line 4 to line 1 or 2.
by using the mandated brakes to do things that used to take off of the 14 hours clock.
the EOBR only record when the truck is moved, not fatigue or fatigue creating labor.
it is flowed by definition.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
The majority of truck drivers won't even write congress against it. Don't think us van drivers are going to take the time to write for it lol.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Awww come on Xiggi, I thought you vanners' had nothing BUT time! What without those pesky regs to deal with and by reading on here there's a fair share that do their share of sitting. LOL ;p

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Conspiracy theory: Van drivers could be one of the largest groups lobbying for all these new HOS regs. It is reasonable to think they may have the MOST to gain from that team that just can't figure out how to fit in that half hour break and therefor can't make the delivery on time.

Delivery times are not an issue under the old rules or the new. In expediting, when a team or solo driver is unable to make the delivery time due to circumstances beyond his or her control, the delivery time is bumped and no service failure is charged to the driver(s) at carriers that do such things.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm in a van so I don't have a dog in this fight but it seems to me that if the hours are reduced from 82 to 70 per week that it would take 17% more trucks on the road to maintain the status quo (82 - 70 = 12 and 12 / 70 = 17%). Is this good math?

The math works but I wonder about the theory. Yes, an 82 hour week was possible under the old rules, but how many truckers had such weeks really? I know of none. There may well be some but I don't know who they are. In ten years of expediting, neither Diane nor I have ever had an 82 hour week.

The FMCSA trumpeted the end of the 82 hour week loud and clear but what changed really? It's not like we were all out there doing 82 hour weeks.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good excuse to have a dog on the road. Lets face it forces you to take a break you park, go off duty take the dog to PEE and by the time you get back in the truck you have used up your half hour.

Yep, I found a way to get pee into the thread L.O.L.

Bob Wolf.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With all the threads about the half hr break and the new "34hr" reset I haven't read much about HOW people plan to find that grey area work around. Not wanting to derail one of the other threads I figured I would just start one that could cover what people are thinking might work.

Workaround 1: This is not a workaround at all but simply the decision to take the 30 minute break as required. Stop the truck, sit for 30 minutes, proceed, add additional minutes for the time it takes to get the truck off the road, parked and back onto the road.

In the case of an upcoming long run we will do, we will be required to take four or five 30 minute breaks, depending on how the schedule works out. If it takes five minutes to get parked and five more to get back on the road, and we take five breaks, total delay will be 30 minutes x 5 plus 10 minutes x 5 for a total of 200 minutes or 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Workaround 2: Do what we can to combine those breaks with stops we would or might make anyway for things like fuel, bathroom stops, food, etc.

In our case, under the old rules, we tended to not take long stops when on long runs. And if we did, it tended to be at or near team shift changes. Some of our mid-shift stops would be extended under Workaround 2. That would reduce but not eliminate the additional delay due to the new rules.

Note that the delay could be very significant if it pushes you beyond the time the docks are open to receive the freight. In that case, you might have to wait until the next morning to deliver the freight, which might be a good or bad thing depending on whether detention time is paid, the reefer must be run, you lose a load because of the overnight stay, etc. Note also that the delay may motivate a driver to drive faster to make up the time because he or she deems it desirable or necessary to do so.

Workaround 3: Become a cargo van expediter and forget about logging at all (except HAZMAT).

Workaround 4: Leave the trucking business and enter a field where you are allowed to work when and as long as you want to without government interference.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Archer, do you mind posting it, or @ least send it to me via PM, so i can copy, sign & mail it.
i'm getting old and lazy here...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Workaround 4: Leave the trucking business and enter a field where you are allowed to work when and as long as you want to without government interference.

Like being a gym owner :rolleyes: <just kidding with ya phil>

moose

Veteran Expediter
Note that the delay could be very significant if it pushes you beyond the time the docks are open to receive the freight. In that case, you might have to wait until the next morning to deliver the freight
i call it confiscated freight. the customer better be open when we get there, or we will have his freight. soon shippers will do the math what cost them more : understuffing it's WHS or paying for truck storage.

moose

Veteran Expediter
The math works but I wonder about the theory. Yes, an 82 hour week was possible under the old rules, but how many truckers had such weeks really? I know of none. There may well be some but I don't know who they are. In ten years of expediting, neither Diane nor I have ever had an 82 hour week. Happen to me many many times over. back when i was running back to back cost to cost loads, it's a # we don't have any rezone to monitor, but it doze happen when we are busy and only stop for the mandated restart along the way. also happen in current job. it's a thing of the past now, can't be done with the new restart rules.

The FMCSA trumpeted the end of the 82 hour week loud and clear but what changed really? It's not like we were all out there doing 82 hour weeks.
they said the same over the eleventh hour. in her respond to 'the bad guys', Farro said that truckers don't take the last allowed hours very often as it is.
Boll C..., we use it daily.