Greetings & such

ZippersKid

Rookie Expediter
Hi everyone!
I've been checking out the website and forums for a little bit now and decided it's time for a little bit of an introduction.

I'm a mainah. I'm a bit over 2 months from my 56th birthday. I've been driving a variety of big trucks going on 30 yrs. Never owned my own. The only two states I've not driven in are California and Arizona. Some of my time has been running local, other times New england regional etc. Most of my time has been dragging either a flatbed or stepdeck and lowboys. Though I have hauled a lot of groceries both dry and refrigerated. Gawd I hated sitting at them docks for hours & hours.
I've put about anything you can put on flatbeds & some you probably shouldn't and safely delivered them... what's funny is I still don't know all the "technical" things of the business. Like I been asked "What's that chain rated for?" I'm like "hell if I know, but I know that I can secure the load with a few of them and be safe!" I've always lived by when in doubt, add another chain or strap. I never did hear of a driver being stopped & fined for having a load over secured.
Anyway, that's not where I wanted to go with this post. I'm here to learn from the experts... and some of the not so experts. I'm tired of big trucking, and tax collectors carrying weapons, other government sponges stealing money from honest (mostly) people trying to make a living in this industry. An industry I happen to love, and sooo sad to see it going the direction it's headed. I come from a time when it was a brotherhood out there... Some of you might still remember those days, and share my sadness - frustration.
Anyway, I'm trying to research this expedited side of the industry and find my niche here. I'm interested in the Sprinter - Cargo Van class of vehicles since I don't intend to keep my commercial license, and I'm not into the whole team thing. My wife isn't able or interested in riding like i'm used to riding. Also, not interested in doing the DOT regs - physical crap.
I know there's companies out here that DO NOT require dot physicals and running cargo vans you don't need commercial class A or B licenses..

So I'm looking around the forums gleaning nuggets of wisdom from anyplace I find them. I've got questions about many topics from finding the right company(ies) to work with. To which van would be best to operate. I'm looking at one company that accepts vans 10yrs old & newer. Not sure where I should post questions. I've been trying to check out the forums to see if any of mine might already have been asked & answered before I go on and ask again. But at the same time these forums are HUGE.. and it's one of several I'm checking out. So how long do I wait before posing questions?

I welcome hearing from any and all of you. Private msgs welcome, and are there any places you guys chat? I like IRC because you can pick a server, start a channel and anyone can join the conversation. No adverts either.

I gotta get me one of them avatar thangs. I like the turtle, and the hobo/clown to name a couple. Trouble is, I ain't seen a good skiddah pic recently :cool: Or maybe a Moose. I dunno I'll work on that eventually. lol

Sorry I'm so long winded. I'm on the side. 10-4!!

QUAD 40

Rookie Expediter
Like you I am new to this forum, but not exactly new to expediting. I'm in my 66th year with about 30yrs exp. myself. My career started in flatbedding, and after 10 yrs of throwing chains and straps I thought I needed a change.

In the early 90's I looked into expediting. I started with Roberts Express in 1993 in a straight truck. Later I teamed up with a friend and ran a semi team with him. Lastly, ran a cargo van with express america. Later I went back to big trucks until I ended up on disability.

If your interests are in cargo vans and or sprinter types, look here at the truck talk section. There are many threads there that explain how to properly set up a c/v some including photos and detailed directions. Then there are threads in the newbie section where many of your questions have probably been asked and answered. Checking the home page here will give you a list of all the major expedite companies. They all advertise here, so check them out.

hope this helps to get you started and good luck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Quad 40 is giving you some good advice.

It's really impossible for anybody to tell you what is best. What's best for you may not be for me and visa versa.

I gotta get me one of them avatar thangs. I like the turtle, and the hobo/clown to name a couple. Trouble is, I ain't seen a good skiddah pic recently :cool: Or maybe a Moose. I dunno I'll work on that eventually. lol
Sorry those are taken. Ya can't have'em. LOL :rolleyes:

ZippersKid

Rookie Expediter
Sorry those are taken. Ya can't have'em. LOL :rolleyes:

LOL It wasn't like I was going to try and hijack 'em mr ragman! Prolly that turtle is trained by now to take unwanted detours & such anyway. Oh yea, I'm def gonna be original with mine.

and Thanks Quad40 I'm working on those too :)

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zip, if I were you I would keep the CDL; some companies require one even in a van. Also, be advised that there are around 80 million vans out there, so that's a lot of competition. For your sake as well as mine (I can't get a CDL, so it's van or stay home), consider staying in the bigger trucks :)