Got The Bug

lostroamer

Expert Expediter
I am a 51 year old single male. I drive a FL70 for a o/o on lease to a steel factory for 20 cents a mile. I found that in the last several months of doing this, I truly enjoy being out on the road and miss it when sitting around for days at a time waiting for a load.
I have read a lot of the newbie forum and gathered some info I was looking for,,,BUT I am courious as to how a company ie, Panther or Conway Now, takes care of their drivers as far as keeping busy and paying, they all say the same thing in their com-on ad's but how are you really treated in the real world.
You say talk to other drivers, I have tried this, mostly by CB on the job, thats when I see them after all, are the radios turned off or on other than ch19?... or is it that they are not used to someone calling them? Perhaps we should have a Expeditite channel...hummm say 22.
My thanks to EO and you all for this wonderful source of information.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The idea of a channel for expediters has been discussed previously. As far as using the CB, I tend to turn mine on when I am approaching a major city, otherwise I prefer to keep it off expect for a check every once in a while to get a report on road conditions.

I cannot help with the other part of your question, as I drive my FL70 for my own company, hauling my own equipment.

Drive Safe

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well lostroamer, it’s like this. Most of the time on the CB, all you hear is BS. There are a lot of nice people that are expediters, and they don’t want to hear that crap, so they keep the CB off. OR!!! For the most part the big truck drivers think they are king of the road and are always cutting up on the 6 wheelers and the vans. So why listen to all that, when it is easier to turn the radio off. I run PA, and Ohio a lot and always have my radio on. If you here someone cussing out the big trucks 9 out of 10 it’s me. Some of us expediters did try and have our own channel it was 30. I still go to 30 and call out for other expedite drivers when I see them, or I will call out on 19 and ask them to go to 30. If they have the radio on and hear me they do take it to 30.

Another way to talk to drivers is to stop in a truck stop if you see a van or truck and start talking to them.

Redogs54

Expert Expediter
Lostroamer,
I think that Teacel may have hit on the right approach. I have talked to many expedite drivers in the truck stops along my tavels. If they are waiting for a load or are not on one of those fuel and run type stops they are more than happy to spend a few minutes talking about their job and company. The CB is not really the place to talk business unless your business is entertainment or hearsay. Good luck.
Redogs 54
Easy Does It

lostroamer

Expert Expediter
I do appreciate the replys. I try not to stay at truck stops any longer than neccessary after a nasty exchange in Michigan when, after eating breakfast in the restraunt, I returned to the truck to find a guy in the truck going through my stuff. He said he was just funnin around. I was not a happy camper..lession learned..if you have to leave the truck on idle, lock it up and use spare key to get back in..also learned that my boss was mistaken when told me you can trust truck stops..I do not trust anyone, anyplace anymore.
I understand what you all are saying about the CB, to me it is a tool just like the satellite, cell phone, etc,..I monitor 19 a lot and say very little, unless needed..
So if you all see a FL70 with a sleeper and Keller Transport on the door holler for me, I use casper, and we'll change greeting if nothing else. Always have time for coffee or a coke if you do.

Have a safe one and a good ride that a'way