Good place to buy Galaxy

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Well, I got hold of the KW factory dash bracket and wow, way bigger than my baby Midland 79-290 (LCD/detachable face) so I guess I am in the market for a new radio but don't know where's a good place to get one. Now I could get one off the shelf from the local dealer, order one from any number of online sellers/ebay, or whatever. I'm looking at a Galaxy 959 and would like to get one from a reputable shop that knows how to peak & tune one without hacking it up, not really looking to up the power (ok, maybe a little) but just make it work as well as it can - good clear send and receive so who do you call recommend. I know where NOT to get one - sent my Midland to a shop in Tacoma that took 6 weeks to do a one hour job and I only got it done then when I told them either finish it or send it back and I will get someone else to do it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
First off more important than the peak and tune you need someone that can convert it. Galaxies, Connexs, and the like are actually ham radios and have to be converted. I would suggest going and seeing Ray at Pro-Tech C.B. Shop in West Memphis, AR. This guy has been in the business since the 70s. He has also taught radio and electronic repair in technical college. He knows what he is doing. Plus he want charge you an arm and a leg. Ray is the only person I would let touch any of my radios.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I have been to both shops the one in west Memphis and the one in anna, they are both really good shops. Any reason why you picked a 959 other than it being a cb band already and not needing to be converted??? Personally I would by a 10 meter ham and have it converted. If you want to stick with Galaxy I would go with a 66 peaked and tuned or a 88 or 99 if you like all the toys like robo voice and what not. I went with a magnum S6 peaked and tuned and I love it. I have had it for almost 2 years and have had no problems. I bought it in anna from mov'in on and they converted, peak and tuned it and it sounds great, so I have been told:D

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
no one reason I guess, partly because I just like the way it looks but also it has some features I like such as the larger meter, PA, talk back, swr, dual channel display and a real dimmer - not just a high/low switch. I like the idea of that Cobra bluetooth model and am tempted to get one but I watched some reviews on youtube and the only trouble with that is you have to hold the mike within a foot or so when speaking (on the phone) which IMO, defeats the purpose - great idea but needs better execution.