going to see an o/o

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
hi,newbi here.going to meet with a o/o on saturday,and check out his truck.what he told me on the phone sounds great.i know i need to get a contract with him.what if he says (we don't need a contract)my word is good.i know his word does'nt pay the bills.i know what i want in the contract,what are some ideas from you guys.how does a typical contract read.can someone post one here for me to look over.its a 60/40 split i pay for fuel,tolls,he is paying the worker comp ins.

Blondie n Dag

Seasoned Expediter
Hey newbi, good luck on Sat. If you want a contract but the O/O tells my word is good, don't be to scared. Our first contract was just like that, verbal. The way you may want to put it to the O/O is that you need to have an agreement for tax purposes.Your fuel and tolls, anything you buy to do your job, maybe a tax write off and you will need to show proof that you are an independant contractor for this O/O. Having the agreement will make it easier to explain what you do if you have an audit.

So you agreement could look something like this.

I (insert name ) agree to drive truck for (insert O/O name) the truck number is ....

(O/O name here ) agrees to pay me 60% of each load pay.
(O/O name here) agrees to pay the Occupation Insurance (Workers Comp)
(O/O name here) agrees to pay for all maint. and repair fees.

(Insert your name ) agree that it is my responsibility to pay the fuel and toll costs.

Just list all the things that you agree too. Leave some room or add a second page incase you and the O/O have forgot to discuss some things, you can add it to the bottom of the agreement. Like who pays the insurance deductable in case of an accident, How much of a freight claim will you be responsible for in case of damage. Have it typed up neat, and bring it with you.
Then the both of you sign it. Give the O/O a copy (might want to bring 2 copies with you, incase there is no place to make copies)

I don't think that if you have it all spelled out that any O/O should be offended. This is for thier protection as much as it is yours. Your business is hauling freight for the O/O and just as a contractor building you a new deck has an agreement with you for the service he is providing, you should have an agreement with the person that you are providing a service for.

Good Luck-Hope we see you out here

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless he's 3 blocks over and 2 blocks down I wouldn't even go unless I already knew he uses a written agreement. As stated, anything that is important to you should be in it. If you do a search for contract you'll find a few threads that discussed things to have in them. There isn't boilerplate on the site because what's correct for one state isn't always for another. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

beachbum20714

Expert Expediter
THANKS,I TALKED WITH THE O/O SAT UP IN DELAWARE.SEEMS TO BE A NICE GUY.EVEN TOOK ME AND MY WIFE OUT TO LUNCH,THATS AFTER TALKING FOR 2 HOURS AT THE TRUCK.TRUCK IS NICE WELL KEEP UP.700,000 + MILES ON IT.STILL HAVE TO GET THE DRIVERS PACKET FROM FED EX AND SEND IT BACK.NOT TO WORRIED ABOUT BEING APPROVED.JUST WORRIED ABOUT MAKING ENOUGHT MONEY.WOULD LIKE TO MAKE $850-$1200 A WEEK AFTER FUEL AND TOLLS.ALOT PEOPLE SAY,NO YOU CAN'T MAKE THAT.WELL I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY AND FIND OUT.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you didnt say if you were running team or single,as a single,in a d unit,your income may be much less than desired,as a team,your income will be much more,after expenses
even though the average load in expedite is around 450 miles,between dead head and the dot hours of service,it is hard to have enough hours to run enough miles in expedite,loosing most of your time waiting for dispatch,but as a team,you should both make around $1000 week,each
good luck
nightcreacher
ooida 283839
fed ex c c since 1984
E6613