Glen and Janice Rice Update

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Many Open Forum members know Glen and Janice Rice or know of them. If you don't, their story is worth reading and taking to heart.

See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3318&forum=DCForumID1

Glen was recently deemed by the Social Secuity Administration to be
totally and permenantly disabled. Janice's Social Security status is still being considered. They will never drive a truck again. Car driving is possible but in very limited doses. A 200 mile trip takes two or three days and hotel stays to complete because of the pain. He has had multiple surgeries for accident-related conditions. More are expected in the near future.

Glen and Janice (also severely injured in the accident) are living day by day at home, taking care of each other, and - believe it or not - counting their blessings. While the episodes are growing further apart, both have had ongoing and lengthy bouts of excruciating pain.

No settlement has been awarded from this accident, except social
security benefits and short-term disability insurance. If one ever is, Glen has told me he would gladly give the money back and happily drive broke for the rest of his life, if he could only drive again.

Glen and Janice are optimistic by nature and upbeat when considering their futures. But until their medical lives settle down, it's
one day at a time.

Glen no longer participates or reads the Open Forum. The negativity gets him down. But he hopes people learn from their accident, especially about the value of having good insurance. He is aware of this post and OK with me sharing the above info.

I should add, the news is not all bad. Just the other day, Glen completed his final visit to the dentist and came home with brand new teeth. The air bag impact in the accident caused the loss of all Glen's teeth. He has undergone multiple oral surgeries to have dental implants constructed. Two years from it's start, the process is now done and Glen is delighted with the result. He no longer has to gum his food and is happily biting into steaks and carrots again.

Glen, Jan, and their friends are enjoying Glen's new smile too!

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
If I remember from reading this years back this was that big yellow truck that was in the accident in FLA it looked to be a very tragic accident. Sorry to hear Glen and Janice are still in pain, hope things get better for them I know how painful a back injury can be. Denny

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I remember their frequent helpful posts. I hope all goes well and their lives can return to normal. Tell them for me that they are missed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are definitely missed. Glen is very knowledgeable and helpful and was much appreciated when I was researching. I hope things improve for them very very soon.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Got to speak with Glen at the 2012 MATS show, was so cool to meet him and just B.S. for a little bit. Plus he has a pretty slick new W900L with a big bunk.

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence I just remember when it happened and how much we all talked about it, and seeing him in Louisville and being able to chat for a bit was cool. Glad to see him back driving, very good guy

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Lawrence I just remember when it happened and how much we all talked about it, and seeing him in Louisville and being able to chat for a bit was cool. Glad to see him back driving, very good guy

Would be better to start a new thread than to rummage around in the dungeon...err archives. For a second there I thought my old "pal" broompilot had returned.:eek:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Would be better to start a new thread than to rummage around in the dungeon...err archives. For a second there I thought my old "pal" broompilot had returned.:eek:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Whoa! broompilot - there's an EO classic.....

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I didn't rummage around the archives!!!!!! I googled the crash story and there was the link to the chat. :)

gotta love google.