Gett'n back into expedting

SThomas1

Expert Expediter
hello all,
it's been a few years since i have been into the expediting seen (started a family and wanted to be home a little more often) but now its time to get back out there. i drove straight truck for panther 2, then went to conway now and drove cargo van. conway was a great company to drive for. i got lots of miles and they always treated me right, unlike the owner i was driving for but thats another story. i was wonder'n if the pay scale is equal to, less than, or more than it was 4 years ago? has the industry changed much as far as slowing down? gett'n bussier? are conway and panther drivers still making money in the end? i will probably be driving for another for a little while while i get back into the swing of it all. any ifo you drivers have would be much apreciated. thanks so much, and drive safely.
sam

probably should have mentioned i will be driving a cargo van again, being a single driver in a straight truck i found was not that profitable for me. might be different for others but not for me. thanks so much again.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I don't know how to put this, cuz it is going to shatter your dreams. If you have a good paying job right now. Wait. Things are extreamly slow all over, most of the good companies have stopped signing vans. I heard from a Con-way D unit driver that was thinking of going to a cargo van that Con-way would not even let them switch to a van. It was stay in the D or leave.

I am sure others will come along and say about the same thing. If you do get a van signed, welcome to the jungle, but let me tell you, there is not a lot to feed on right now.

SThomas1

Expert Expediter
well i do remember that usualy january thru april it was slow once summer came it was busier, and once the fall came it was run, run, run, hot, hot, hot. that still the same trend or has it been slow for longer than just the begining of the year? are companies still paying around $.85 to $1.15 per mile for loads? i used to get some great loads from conway. ran from boston to detroit a couple times, and detroit to east moline, il (the john deere plant) did that many times. still get runs like this?
sam

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I would LOVE to see .85 a mile. Panther is at .77, just met my first (and probably my last) all types driver, they pay .80 if your lucky enough to get a check. Most others I think pay a % but with freight so low, bids for the freight are following. (1 load, 8 compaines bidding, down goes the rate) so I am not sure how well you would do on a % right now. Fedex pays that way and I run in to more and more fed-ex drivers sitting.