Getting there!!! (laptop gps routing)

beenthere

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All right, if a person has a laptop computer and wants to go with live gps tracking and routing what is the correct combination to use. I have heard of people buying the handheld gps, hooking them up to a laptop with software that "talks" to them. Can someone give me some info on this as I want to put together one of the units to see how it works!

By the way,
Vote for me :7 :D

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check out delorme.com . Everything you need except the laptop.
Have a safe trip!
Randy:7

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been using the Delorme Street Atlas map program and their GPS. They can be purchased as a package at Best Buy or other electronic retailers for about $150. The map program is very detailed and lets you route the fastest or shortest route. The program lists all the directions for your route, and an artificial voice tells you when you need to make your next turn. The GPS works fine sitting on the dashboard of the vehicle. If you travel Canada, you might also want to get the Map 'n Go program, because Street Atlas is only the US. Map "n Go is not as detailed as Street Atlas.

The GPS tracks your movement along the route highlighted on the map.

The Delorme map program is for the general consumer so it doesn't account for bridge heights or truck restrictions on some roads, so you need to be a little cautious with the routing (not a big deal, but I wanted to warn you that it does happen).

I have my laptop mounted on a stand in the center of the instrument panel where I can see it easily. I used a stereo speaker rack (wall mount) which I bought at Target or Walmart for $19.00.

Good Luck.