getting started

plantman

Expert Expediter
I've been reading a lot of post on this site and have a few questions. I have a company that is somewhat seasonal, so we have straight trucks, and 3/4 ton cargo vans that sit from time to time, we have dot#, insurance,drivers,etc. I've wanted to get into the expediting game for awhile now and was wanting advice on getting into it. any help or info would be great.such as what rate do drivers average, truck owner, fuel surcharges,? if signed on w/company are you limited to take their loads only? can you find your own freight easily? is there a need for reefer trucks in this industry?
thanks,

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Signing on with a company probably isn't an option since they are going to want more than a part time situation. You also have to consider the impact of expediting on your primary business use of your vehicles and vice versa. Perhaps a better fit would be contacting local furniture/appliance/etc. stores and working out something with their overflow deliveries. I'm sure there are ways to utilize your equipment but expediting probably isn't the best of what's available.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Good idea Leo, try it out it can't hurt you will probably be better off local as if you got into Expediting there is no telling where your vehicle would be when you need it back. Long DH